ASUS A7S333 - Built-in sound

Brad

I have this mobo and as per the mobo manual, I disabled the on-board sound when I installed my Delta TDIF card.

Now I am wondering if I can enable the mobo's built in sound with the Delta still in there as my main card?

I would just go ahead and try it, but I don't know if this will screw something up permanantly or not.

Is this just not possible?

Thanks,

Brad

P.S. if it's not an option, would I be better off putting my two old PCI cards back in for a grand total of 3 sound cards (the final config in this scenario would be a Steinberg Project card, an M-Audio DiO 24/48 and a Delta TDIF)?

Am I just insane?

Sure, enable it in BIOS and install the drivers for it. It won't screw up anything permanently. You may run into some IRQ problems, but maybe not.

You got me a bit confused though. Why do you want to enable it?

Well, fuckall, I don't know Emeric!

Here is what my stupid ass did:

I have Acid Pro 4, which supports 5.1 surround mixing (mixing mind you, not encoding) and I have been interested in surround mixing for a while now, so I read up on what I needed to mix in a 5.1 environment.

The Acid manual said I would need a 5.1 compatable soundcard OR a soundcard with at least 6 analog outs, OR 3 stereo sound cards.

So, I check my soundcard literature (the Delta TDIF) and I see that you can output AC3 (as well as other) 5.1 data out of the SPDIF on the card. So, I think I am almost in business.

I wait and wait for a good deal to show up on a home theatre system (Surround receiver with the ability to decode incoming AC3 SPDIF and speakers) and one finally comes, so I run out and lay down the cash. I need this for monitoring the surround mixes.

Now, in all my fucking brilliance, I realize that when the Acid manual says you need a 5.1 compatable soundcard, it is not talking about a card that outputs AC3 data, it is talking about something else.

At this point, Sonic Foundry announces that it will be coming out soon with a plug-in that will allow the encoding of AC3 data from a surround mix. This will work for me (I think - I am still waiting to hear back from SF support on this) but it will also cost me a few more bills to get that rotten little bastard of a plug-in. If it will work.

So, I am twiddling my thumbs trying to think of what to do with this surround system that I just bought (will I just put it in my living room and enjoy it while watching DVD's for a couple of months or will I take a steaming crap right on top of it) and then I remember: BAM! The A7S333 has built in sound with 5.1 capability that I disabled!

But now I don't know how this works. Far as I can tell, it's a 1/8 stereo jack - I don't know how you get 6 gotdamned channels of audio out of that thing, but it supposedly does. And I got some wild hair up my garbage chute to maybe try to enable this card and try plugging some kind of magic cable from it - to the surround receiver to see if that works. But I don't know anymore. I am so confused. And bitter. And cold. And lonely.

Help me Obi-Wan-Emeric, you're my only hope!

Damn Brad, I know fuck all about 5.1 sound I just record stereo tunes. Two ears you know?

I did notice that on ASUS's site it say it is optional. I'm guessing it gets the 6 channels via SP/DIF, but then your receiver would have to be digital as well? Is their SP/DIF on your board?

Eddie N would be the guy to ask, but there are probably some surround sound tweak heads who can help you further.

Good luck.

May the force be with you.

Who needs surround sound anyway? What, do you want to be in your music? :lol:

(Im just shittin' ya by the way SS is cool).

Back