Associate Sound Card Only With Certain Apps in XP?

Chris Long

Hi All
Now that I think I'm getting closer to having a working system again, I want to look ahead and see if I can tempt the Fates a bit...

The Delta AP doesn't seem to work well with games. No surprise there, it's not why I got it, of course. My old onboard sound was fine for games, though.

How can I set XP to dedicate one of the sound cards to a certain app--like the AP to Sonar only, or the onboard sound to everything else? Never had to do this before, or even think about it. Can't seem to find an answer at Microsoft...

All you should have to do is set the internal sound card as your default sound card in WinXP using the control panel then Sounds and Audio Devices.

Then in Sonar you should be able to set the AP as your default player for that app.

Works for me in Cubase anyway..

I get a big lag time between the time when I hit a button and the sound associated with the action. And along with the lag time, the sounds are distorted, clipped or missing.

The specific game I was using is Battlefield 1942. When hitting a mouse button to shoot a gun, for example, the gun goes off but the sound is delayed. And the sound is wrong--muffled and/or distorted, and sometimes clipped or missing altogether (longer sounds fare a little better--like the sound of a battleship gun firing or a tank rolling) But all sounds during gameplay are affected--the music in the beginning is mostly fine (not perfect, but much better than the game sounds)

I have a similar situation with SB and Aark24. Some games and other sounds don't work well with the Aark24. So I finally set the SB as the default and use the Aark in Cakewalk. The saving grace is the fact that my cheapy Edirol monitors have two sets of inputs and separate volume knobs for each set.

I had all kinds of wierd problems trying to make one card handle everything.

The delay is probably due to latency from to having too many/to big buffers.

Don't know why the sound would be distorted though

I think the issues vary from game to game. It depends on how the developers for the game set up the games audio engine. I don't have a dedicated DAW yet and I play Far Cry on my system with no audio issues with my AP2496, but had some audio lag issues with Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow and Medival Total War. Go figure.

Back