Assembling Computer

Modus

Zaireeka!
Hi all,
After months of researching I'm almost done with buying all the parts to my PC and I'm getting ready to go into the assembling phase. I've never built my own computer before so I don't really know where to start. Any links or reading material or tips pointing me in the right direction would be much apreciated.

Modus

The manuals should be enough to get you through it safely.
Install the CPU on the mobo first. The ram cards second. Install the mobo to the case. Put in your hard drives, floppy, and CD rom drives. Connect the IDE cables, fan cables, LED and switch cables, and power cable from power supply to mobo. Double and triple check your connections. The motherboard manual will be the best resource for installation. If you dont have a grounding strap, then try to stand on a wooden or tile floor {no carpet} Before you touch anything always touch the power supply case to discharge any possible static electricity. Depending on your OS you intend to use will determine the boot sequence. If XP or 2k, when your system boots the first time, go to the bios setup and change boot sequence to CD drive first, HD second, floppy last.
Put in the OS CD and reboot, when it comes around installation should begin auto.

Driver installation should be in this order.

After the OS:

1.mother board/chipset
2.remaining mobo utilities, like DMA tool, IDE controller or raid controller, usb...ect..
3.video card drivers/utilities/DirectX
4.soundcard
5.remaining hardware, drives, printers
6. all your software

The main thing is to install the MOBO stuff right after the OS, I've forgotten a little thing off the MOBO disk before and had to scrap the whole install and reboot the OS to remedy it.

there are some good links online for assembling a pc, like the ones posted by duck.

what helped me a lot was going to the library and checking out the books in the computer section. there should be some about installing/upgrading a pc that have good descriptions and illistrations.

jake-owa said:
Driver installation should be in this order.

After the OS:

1.mother board/chipset
2.remaining mobo utilities, like DMA tool, IDE controller or raid controller, usb...ect..
3.video card drivers/utilities/DirectX
4.soundcard
5.remaining hardware, drives, printers
6. all your software

The main thing is to install the MOBO stuff right after the OS, I've forgotten a little thing off the MOBO disk before and had to scrap the whole install and reboot the OS to remedy it.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but where does Windows Update fall into this order? It's been a while since I reformatted...thanks.

Back