ASIO4ALL v2 issue

waynefal84

I know this has probably been brought up by someone else and, if so, sorry for annoying you with a new "duplicate" thread. I've been having problems using the ASIO4ALL driver and after several hours of research I still haven't found a solution that works for me.

First, I'll tell you what I'm working with:
PC -
HP Pavilion - 1TB HDD - 8GB RAM - Windows 7 (64 bit)
Soundcard / Recording device-
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
DAW-
Image-Line FL Studio 11

Doing some research on and off for the past couple months has not helped very much. The few solutions that were offered didn't fix my problem. For a while, I was able to use my DAW with no problem. Eventually it started freezing in mid-session and I ended up having to restart my computer every time this happened and it gradually got worse from there. After a few of those incidents my computer would completely freeze any time I tried to open FL Studio. Thinking it might be a registry problem, I decided to reformat my hard drive and start fresh. Then I reinstalled FL, Saffire Mix Control and ASIO4ALL, went into my computer's audio options and disabled the "Exclusive Mode" and it worked just fine (that was 3 days ago). Today, I installed Guitar Rig 5 Pro and attempted to try it out but I couldn't get any audio through either that OR FL Studio. The ASIO control panel tells me that the output is being used by another application. Keep in mind that I already disabled "Exclusive Mode" in all instances as described in every forum thread about this particular problem. I'm glad that seems to work for everybody else but I guess I'm not so lucky. Thinking back, I remember installing a demo of GR5 at one point (before the first meltdown) and that now has me suspicious of Guitar Rig itself. Maybe that is somehow the problem. And no, I did not have both FL and GR open at the same time. Please help.

Thank you for reading and I hope someone can figure this out.

Have you disabled your onboard audio from the computer and checked for conflicts with Windows 7 ?

I had a Saffire pro 14 I absolutely loved it, but when I changed my Motherboard I spent weeks with Focusrite trying to get the drivers to work. I had to give up. Great unit, but picky software driver.

Yes, I always disable the onboard soundcard before turning on the Saffire. Not sure how to check for conflicts.

I gave up on the Saffire too when it just wasn't working, and I spent too much time trying to fix it than use it. Some started saying I needed to buy a separate firewire card etc..etc.. and I don't know what I did, its been a while ago, but I don't have it anymore. SOund wise when it worked it was great, but the software was a night mare and I don't care for the MixControl thing infront of the DAW.
I went to a Tascam 1641/1800 and it works great and there is none of that software stuff before the DAW.

good luck... obviously the ones whose units work well don't post as much. imo

Yes, I always disable the onboard soundcard before turning on the Saffire. Not sure how to check for conflicts.

Go into "device manager" and click on "sound devices" make sure you see everything is working. Theres also ways to click on inputs and outputs there. Make sure the inputs and outputs match your program.

Sorry I cant help you more.

I uninstalled ASIO4all and set my audio driver to the Saffire built-in ASIO driver. The first thing I noticed is that when I click on "show ASIO panel" I get nothing. I guess this particular ASIO doesn't allow changes. Although, it does work and I can use it just fine as long as I don't use any VSTs. Soon after adding a VST (i.e. Fruity Compressor, Fruity Reverb 2 which I always use) the program stops giving me sound. My PC and FL Studio will still be running but the mixer (within FL) is frozen. Then, when I turn off the power to my Interface, my computer will still think it is connected and freeze when I try to shutdown/restart.

Could this be a memory issue? Do I need more RAM? I shouldn't because my system has 8GB or RAM and the minimum requirement for all this stuff to run is 3GB. I have more than twice the recommended amount so I can't imagine that being the problem.

I would first go to the Focusrite website and make sure you have the right driver for your AI/OS installed.

What firewire connector are you using? The mini fw like this?
http://plyojump.com/classes/images/hardware/firewire.jpg

In my experience this has to be the worst connector ever. I have it too on my laptop and at one point I gave up and got myself an extra fw card with bigger fw connectors. Every time you touch the wire or move the laptop slightly it loses the connection for a moment and everything freezes.

Also I'd get rid of Asio4all (use drivers from Focusrite website), disable onboard sound card and make sure the Saffire is default device in windows sound settings. You may try older Mixcontrol versions, 2.4 for example.

/Owns a Saffire 24 & 56/

I uninstalled ASIO4all and set my audio driver to the Saffire built-in ASIO driver. The first thing I noticed is that when I click on "show ASIO panel" I get nothing. I guess this particular ASIO doesn't allow changes. Although, it does work and I can use it just fine as long as I don't use any VSTs. Soon after adding a VST (i.e. Fruity Compressor, Fruity Reverb 2 which I always use) the program stops giving me sound. My PC and FL Studio will still be running but the mixer (within FL) is frozen. Then, when I turn off the power to my Interface, my computer will still think it is connected and freeze when I try to shutdown/restart.

Could this be a memory issue? Do I need more RAM? I shouldn't because my system has 8GB or RAM and the minimum requirement for all this stuff to run is 3GB. I have more than twice the recommended amount so I can't imagine that being the problem.

Check the lower right corner (near the time) for the ASIO driver's app, the button might not work but the app could be down there ready to be double clicked and have settings changed.

8GB should be plenty.

FL might need to be updated as well.

Back