asio performance issue (i think?)

jrhager84

expert newb
When I'm not even playing a track, my asio time usage is at ~35% with my firestudio. I get VERY paranoid when the track number grows, and the meter gets up to ~80%... Does anybody know of a way to get my asio time usage down? Thanks in advance,

-Joel

When I'm not even playing a track, my asio time usage is at ~35% with my firestudio. I get VERY paranoid when the track number grows, and the meter gets up to ~80%... Does anybody know of a way to get my asio time usage down? Thanks in advance,

-Joel

What's your sample rate set at? You could use lower settings during tracking and bump it to mix. How many plugs are you using? Make sure to make use of buses if you use a lot of plugs. And then you could always upgrade your computer.

An AMD x2 4400+ running ~2.4Ghz per core isn't what I'd call lacking, especially when I'm only running ~12 tracks simultaneously with no effects (well only a gate on my toms and such) and I have over 3gb of decent RAM...

What driver are you using? What other devices may be sharing IRQ with your firewire chipset? Is it a legit version of Cubase?

I'm using the presonus ASIO driver.

Legit Cubase 4

My IRQ is 19, which is shared w/ the following:

ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
then obviously my TI firewire card...

I would try to reassign something away form that IRQ. You should have enough power to have all that on it, but it may be at least contributing to your issue.

get it on an IRQ of its own.

there was a good article in SOS mag last mnth about dual and quad core processors. Because some audio apps are only streaming audio they only take advantage of a single core. I'm not saying this is the case with cubase 4 but the article said a LOT of music apps had this problem. So if you're running a dual core and cubase is only using one core you're running a half your processing power, quarter of the processing power on a quad core.

I'm on a 2 yearold single core PIV 3.0Hz and can easily record 16 tracks simultaniouslt and stream back 24 using about 25-35% of the processing power.

what's your full system spec? is it a dedicated DAW? XP OR VISTA? Have you been to teakxp.com and stripped out all them background services you don't need? Got the latest drivers? Dsabled everything on the MOBO you don't use in the bios?

There's a lot of things you can be checking but asigning the card to a new dedicated IRQ would be my first port of call.

Good lck with it

Alex

Back