ASIO and Audition v3.0

wcameron

I'm just getting into recording and I'm getting a message when I connect my AT2020 to Audition via my Zoom H4n. It says" You currently have a directsound sound card driver selected (Audition windows sound). For best results when recording, select an ASIO sound card driver. To change your sound card driver selection, choose Edit>Audio Hardware Setup".

First, I didn't think Audition supported ASIO (actually I don't even know what ASIO is). I can't select the ASIO driver any way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Audio programs dont talk to the soundcards directly.
This keeps compatibility problems like we used to have in the dark ages away.

Programs talk to the soundcard drivers - ASIO is one-
and the ASIO drivers talk to the interface/soundcard.

Using a portable recorder as an interface has its limitations and you just found one.

Your life would be a LOT easier if you get a reliable, low-latency ASIO soundcard/interface:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

Actually it looks like the Zoom does have an ASIO driver. I found one on their site and was able to get it set up in Audition 3.0. I guess Audition began supporting ASIO in version 2.0. I may pick up an interface at some point. I'm just beginning to do more recording and It's really nice to have the ability to use the Zoom as my interface at the moment. What would you recommend for a good introductory interface? I don't really need more than two inputs as all I'm doing is spoken word and the occassional interview.

Back