Ascap (publisher application ) question

dkimcohn

I have friends that recorded an album in South America, and I want to market it in the U.S. what are some of the legal steps that I have to follow?
So people don't sort of "steal" and "abuse" the music created with hard work. ;)
So far investigating I've...

1)Download the publisher application from Ascap or BMI, (I noticed that BMI charges a fee, does ASCAP also?)(which one do you guys prefer)

2)Send the songs to copyright.

Also
***I went through with the Ascap publisher application, and in part # 6 it says:

6. I am applying for membership based on the following musical work or song published by my (our) company:

Title of ONE musical work or song: ________________
Songwriter(s)/ Composer(s):__________________

***OK what does it mean with "ONE" musical work or song, is the application for only one song?

Sorry if the question is irrevelant, I'm new to this and would like to know the aspects of the application before submitting it. I guess a lot of you music peepz have been through this. :o

Thanks

Do
Is there anything else I'm missing

In order to qualify as a Publisher, you have to have had at least one song that you (publishing company) have published in some form.

ASCAP is a performing rights organization that collects money for performances of your music, like radio or TV airplay - . Once the money is collected they pay the writers and publishers a royality. You will need to sign up as a writer as well.

A song that I've at least published before, meaning it that the song had to be either performed at a venue, or played on the radio, put on the internet, right?

Why is it that I have to register as a writer too? can you please explain me that ?

Thanks for your time

;)

ASCAP wants just one piece of music that you have published in some form to make sure that you're not just some yahoo trying to pull something. If you are excepted into the society then you will be asked to furnish the rest of the copyrighted material in your portfolio, that you own or have published.

They just want you to prove that you have a commercial recording, or a song publicly preformed in one of thier licened venues, or performed over the internet - TV - movies - radio, and or in print form (as in a score for sale). They also want to make sure that you are engaged in the publishing business per se.

As to needing a writers application, I don't think that's really necessary if you are not the writer of the songs. I may be wrong about that, but I don't believe I am.

And I would get the songs copyrighten before I'd do anything else. You want to protect your investment if you're in the publishing business.You might also think of some kind of contract with the writers of the songs that you plan on publishing. Just to protect yourself.

Wow thanks very enlightening, I appreciate your response. ;)
Ok so in order to qualify one of the songs from the album has to be played over the radio, or performed at a Ascap licensed venue.
What about the internet, I know the internet is a broad thing, what about myspace music does that count?How do I know which radio stations or venues are licensed by Ascap?
where can I find that is there a listing in the ascap.com website?
A song from the album was played at a philadelphia radio station, however that station is a non profit organization.
what would happen in that situation?

To be also more specific, the album is expected well hopefully..to be sold by consignment at a Virgin Megastore, we are in the process of copyrighting the songs before selling the album. Since the artists are living in South America performing at a local ASCAP licensed venue is not going to happen pretty soon. I guess the internet or the radio would be a way of proof...but how and what forms is the big question.

Thanks

D. :D

Wow thanks very enlightening, I appreciate your response. ;)
Ok so in order to qualify one of the songs from the album has to be played over the radio, or performed at a Ascap licensed venue.
What about the internet, I know the internet is a broad thing, what about myspace music does that count?How do I know which radio stations or venues are licensed by Ascap?
where can I find that is there a listing in the ascap.com website?
A song from the album was played at a philadelphia radio station, however that station is a non profit organization.
what would happen in that situation?

To be also more specific, the album is expected well hopefully..to be sold by consignment at a Virgin Megastore, we are in the process of copyrighting the songs before selling the album. Since the artists are living in South America performing at a local ASCAP licensed venue is not going to happen pretty soon. I guess the internet or the radio would be a way of proof...but how and what forms is the big question.

Thanks

D. :D

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if listing my songs on MySpace or iTunes qualifies me for ASCAP?

//Again sorry for the bump, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Back