ASCAP Membership Question...

Speedy VonTrapp

Hello all...

I am looking into becoming an ASCAP member. I have 2 options, writer or publisher.

Right now, I'm looking at the writer application, as that's a more obtainable goal than the publisher one, until the studio starts doing some business.

My question, is what do I need for proof of the recordings that I have that are required for membership?

The application says that I need either a commercial recording, or a public performance.

In the commercial recording section, it says that I need to fill in the following blanks:

Recording Artist:

Date of Release:

Record Label:

I have not yet performed any of my music in a venue, so the other option is not available to me. How can I fill in these blanks? If I submit a copyright for a song, is that not enough to qualify?

I am a bit confused as what my options are.

If anybody could help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Speedy

Burn a copy of your songs to CD and sell it to a friend for $1. Then its a commercial release.....;-) I named the record label after my studio name. And used the date I finshed the song on, not when I recorded it. They took mine....

But no matter what you do fill out and return a PA or SA form for the Gov before you do anything else. It is the best way to prove it's yours. Good Luck

Back