Artificially Extending Vocals

Perceptes

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows the technique involved in taking a a vocal part and extending it so that it appears the vocalist is holding a single note forever. Is it done with a very short crossfade or by other means?

I messed around with a vocal part by cutting a section out of the middle where the note is sustained, then lining up a few copies of it and crossfading them, but you either hear the change in parts or you hear it as two voices overlapping each other during the fade. I want to use this to create some atmospheric vocal effects. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I've done it many times with vocals and instruments. Pretty much the way you discribe.

i think i know what you are talking about. ever heard of a band called Portishead? they do a song called Humming, and on the intro of that song, they do that with vocals (their singer: Beth Gibbons) and it almost sounds like a theremin, with all the vibrato and what not. very creepy, very cool.

A lot of DAWs have a time stretch function without changing the pitch. You could also use that with some combination of the techniques above.

solaris0031 said:
i think i know what you are talking about. ever heard of a band called Portishead? they do a song called Humming, and on the intro of that song, they do that with vocals (their singer: Beth Gibbons) and it almost sounds like a theremin, with all the vibrato and what not. very creepy, very cool.

Actually, that is a synth being played during that part. I'm interested in having a single note sung by a person held that long. The effect I'm looking for is used in Massive Attack's "Butterfly Caught" if anyone is familiar with that. Thanks for the responses, everyone.

TC Helicon VoiceOne and Voice Prism have fairly seamless algo's for doing this very technique quickly and convincingly.

I cut and paste to fix stuff in people's recordings all the time, but HATE doing it for vocals... it's a pain in the butt to match inflection, pitch, attitude and feel convincingly.

If you seriously wanna do this kinda stuff regularly, check into Celemony's Melodyne - I think they will or soon will have a 1-track version (last I saw only 8 & 16 track versions).

http://www.celemony.com/melodyne/demos.html

It's pretty cool software, and if you just need a quickie or two, you can do your work with the demo version & jack the audio while your track is playing with the appropriate software, eh?

Back