articles on expander/gate

travis16vp

Does anyone know of any online articles explaining the expander/gate. I've seen a lot of everything else but not this. I'm specifically working with protools but general info will do. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know of any online articles explaining the expander/gate. I've seen a lot of everything else but not this. I'm specifically working with protools but general info will do. Thanks in advance!
I know of no articles offhand, but I will say that an expander and a gate are two entirely different tools.

An expander is basically the exact opposite of a compressor.

A gate is simple a circuit (or plug) that mutes the signal whenever the signal drops below the threshold setting.

G.

How does that work? Sorry if it's a dumb question. I've never used or tried to use one before.
In short, whereas a compressor compresses everything above or below a set threshold level (usually above on standard downward compressors), an expander will expand the dynamic range of signals above or below the set threshold. Whereas you might, let's say for example, compress everything above a certain threshold by, say, 3:1 compression, one can use an expander to expand everything beyond the threshold by 1:3.

G.

When using a gate, which parameter should you change first? For example if I'm working on a bass drum with a little high hat bleed on it should I adjust the threshold first until I can hear only a minimal amount of bleed then start using the other parameters?

"..unless you are doing live sound don't bother gating drums." ..unless it's to get the isolation needed.. or learn how to set up a gate.

Granted the question when is it needed is a valid one too.

Threshold would be pretty much primary up first. If the track is not consistent it easy to have lite hits fall through the cracks. ITB' you have an advantage of viewing the level of the hits throughout the song, where you can correct the levels with pre-insert clip automation if need be.
Hold and release dial in the dwell times.

Back