Article: Some Things to Think about When Choosing Microphones

Good info, thanks.

I've always had issues with pops, plosives. Should I put a flat screen in front of my Sennheiser e845?
Try the cheapest ways first:

A foam filter over the mic.

Second, try singing slightly to one side.

Third, place the mic at nose or eye height.

If none of those things work, then get a screen.

Pls tell me

thanks for this insight.... am setting a studio and would like to know the better mic for home recording.... a B-2 or C-4 BEHRINGER?

thanks for this insight.... am setting a studio and would like to know the better mic for home recording.... a B-2 or C-4 BEHRINGER?
The B-2 is a large diaphragm condenser mic, which is normally used to flatter vocals. The C-4 is a small diaphragm condenser mic, which is designed to be more accurate and used mainly for recording instruments.

What is your take on Neumann TLM 49 for just vocals for home studio use using Duet 2. I would like to buy just one vocal mic and do not want to be upgrading every year.

I'm in the process of trying to determine the best mic to use for the Akai GX 635 I just purchased. My main recording source is internet radio (Pandora One) & I have Klipsch Pro Media 2 speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fantastic read on the original Article! Very informative for me! I'm not an expert, only an intermediate in knowledge of this.

I'm happy with the MXL R144 Ribbon Microphone purchased about 3 months ago for the studio. Don't know much about the Neumann but what tube is in the pre-amp has quite a bit to do with the sound as well as the mic. Sounds like a fantastic deal, the Neumann, and looking forward to the reveiw. Thanks!

I'm interested in recording Bb Clarinet, both solo and small ensemble. Are we talking about two different mics between the best choice for a single clarinet (no accom.) vs. a small clarinet ensemble? I'm told generally for clarinet that a large condenser mic or ribbon is best. Anything decent come to mind for mics less than $150? Or a stereo pair for less than $150?

Please help! I am making a home recording studio, but I don't know what microphone I should us I read that shure SM58 are really good for instruments and Shure PG58 for vocals but the problem is that I don't have the money for them and I read that pyle pro and GLS are just the same than Shure but cheaper.
Please HELP!!!

I just purchased a Michael Joly modified MXL R40. I can tell you that you don't have to compromise much with these modified mics. The first thing I did was turn it up all the way to see what it sounded like. It was dead silent. Until I made some noise. The noise from the mics is from crappy electronics and sometimes reverb in the capsule. Essentially I have come to realize if you hear sibilance (hiss, etc.) then you have a cheap mic that would benefit from a mod. I am next going to try a Bonnell mod and see how his work is on a SDC mic. If you don't want to do a mod it's going to cost you over a grand to get there.

check out Cascade Mics

I'm interested in recording Bb Clarinet, both solo and small ensemble. Are we talking about two different mics between the best choice for a single clarinet (no accom.) vs. a small clarinet ensemble? I'm told generally for clarinet that a large condenser mic or ribbon is best. Anything decent come to mind for mics less than $150? Or a stereo pair for less than $150?

In your price range I would suggest you look at Cascade Microphones. They offer several options for decent mics and at least one of their ribbon mics would be affordable for you. I have used one of their ribbons for several years and found it to me versatile and accurate.

For cheap rode NT1A is great, also a SP c1. A Cascade ,ic is cool too. But a shure sm 58 will always do almost as well and you can use it for live. To put into perspective I use an U87, which sets you back 2-3 K but I went into the studio last week and recoded a track using a telefunken elam 251. The studio's mic, not mine I wish! A mic like that will set you back about 12 K ~ but how creamy the vocals! I also recorded with a vintage U47 who was previously used by the likes of Aretha Franklin. Something like that will set you back over 20K. But the elam 251 was the best I've ever heard, IMHO.

"It means that a mic that sounds great on one voice, one guitar, or even in one key, may sound very different on another voice, another guitar, or even in a different key." Yep. Another factor: my work almost always ends up being heard on FM or even AM radio. Anyone who has been in that business knows the compression that happens between the control board and the transmitter with broadcast media.

Best microphones....

actually none of the mentioned, Behringer is out on a limp with their range of microphones.
Avoid their mics, better buy some of their dynamics processors. That is their speciality: decent sounding gear at a reasonable price.
Instead have a look at Thomann's own re-branded (China clones). Goes under "t.Bone". Good quality, good price. They got a broad range, the SC-1000 might just be your everyday China clone of U87, but it is probably still worth it. I don't know, have not heard it.
What I know is this: I own their clones of the SM 57 and 58Beta - they sound JUST like the original :-).
I also got a pair of EM-800's (small condensers), which sound amazing, used them as overhead for cymbals. They have this incredible silky smooth sound (mmmmlove em').
So I would'nt hesitate to buy one of their large capsules - they are pretty cool with money back, really friendly.

<suppose you could go with another chineese:Superlux E205 (large diaphragm). Superlux is actually a microphone company, Neumann helped found (when taking on new markets, I guess). Superlux boast that one of their mic's was used for some famous speaches by Chairman Mao. So a bit of history 4 ya there :-)

Back