Article: Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording

Great Information! I wish I has foudn this posting 3 weeks ago - would have shaved many hours off my research time!

Thanks a TON for this post! Unfortunately I have already purchased all my recording equipment, needless to say my mixer can only output 1 track into my DAW at a time.. meanwhile I have 6 XLR inputs and 4 Jacks. :wtf: I think I may need to buy a new external interface now..
At least I believe so, my mixer is the Behringer Xenyx X1222USB, please tell me if I'm wrong though. I am trying to record my vocals as well as an acoustic guitar. 1 vocal mic / 1-2 instrument mics / 1 direct line in for my guitar. Also may need 1-2 additional XLR inputs. Any advice on what to get? I am using a Mac with Garageband although I'm seriously considering an upgrade to Logic Express.

Much thanks. -Nick

Last edited:
Thanks this is great stuff. .. But if i may add

A lot of people ask .....which instrument to start the recording with?
The one to use is the one you are most comfortable with. .. Which can provide a melody, this would give you a chance to lay a track quite quickly, rather than trying to learn a new instrument (which no one knows why you would try that) but crazy thought some still ask should i learn piano
But anyway thanks for all the info

Help to buy New MIc and MIxer

Great Information! I wish I has foudn this posting 3 weeks ago - would have shaved many hours off my research time!
Guys I am buying a New Behringer Xenyx Q502 USB Mixer.......and a MXL 990 Condenser Mic.....It says it needs Phantom Power 48V( +-4V) but i am confused that......My Mixer has mic inpt with 15V Phantom Power so will the mix support it......

Having drum machine in external device is most helpful to me. Want to record within 1 minute of sitting down. Hit drums, capture improvised guitar lead or rhythm riff and build song from there. I've been using GarageBand on iPad. Problem is I cannot save multi-track file and send to collaborator enabling remote (time and place) recording. I'm in the market, price really no object just want to get it right. Bought Roland BR 1600 years back, way too complicated. Going to research other threads herein for more direction, any recommendations? Thanks.

recording software

I am currently using maudio mtrack interface and softwares like audacity and ignite by AIR. I am planning to buy a mixer like behringer 502 usb. my question is I want to record two audios like (one vocal and one guitar) simeltaneously in different tracks (ie recording 2 tracks in 2 channels at atime). This is not possible in IGNITE.Which software should I use for this. Pls give me the solution.

Back