Art Voice Channel.. What cable should I use to connect it to my Clarett+ 8Pre?

You Run the ART through it's USB and choose it in the Inputs on your DAW - then you also run the Claret and Choose it's inputs on your DAW.
Not all DAWs can do that, and if they can, either they are running on different clocks which could lead to drift, or one of them needs to be resampled. That's what Aggregate Device in a Mac does, resamples all audio streams other than the master.

[Edit] You might be able to get around those issues by clocking one off the other using the optical connection, but I doubt the OP wants to get into that. And it might still leave a (probably very slight) timing offset.

Last edited:
Not all DAWs can do that, and if they can, either they are running on different clocks which could lead to drift, or one of them needs to be resampled. That's what Aggregate Device in a Mac does, resamples all audio streams other than the master.

[Edit] You might be able to get around those issues by clocking one off the other using the optical connection, but I doubt the OP wants to get into that. And it might still leave a (probably very slight) timing offset.
You make one or the other the master clock - Which in this case would be the Clarrett - and then the Art would clock to the Clarett and not drift - but it doesn't matter - the OP wants to run his Art into the Clarett - which I would imagine for his work would work fine.

I still think using the SPDIF connection would be better. If nothing else, it will give you one more channel, the 8 preamps from the Clarret+ and the ART via digital SPDIF. Then you can have the ART dedicated for your vocal chain and use the Clarett for everything else. Requires nothing more complicated than an optical cable.

Last edited:
The manual, as I read it, says the 1/4” jack(s) on the front effectively shut off the mic pre. Probably fine though the impedance is set for instrument input.

Going into the back it will automatically set impedance for line level, but include the mic pre in the circuit, which is weird, but I seriously doubt this is any kind of issue that would be audible. That’s what I did with my previous external mic pre and F-rite and it worked fine. (Between the condenser mic and ART, there’s more noise than a Clarett will ever add.)

I would really discourage going the S/PDIF route because it adds complexity (and limitations, not to mention one more cable) for what? IMHO/IME.

Hello.. I've been testing ART with Clarett for a few months now.. and I have many doubts..
There is a lot of white noise when I turn up the microphone gain.. and some knobs on the ART I don't know how they should be set.. for example, the IMPEDANCE knob...

I am currently using the Lewitt 940 microphone.

The microphone is connected to the front input of the ART.. And the ART goes into the Clarett with a balanced jack cable.. Then the clarett to the PC..

( I apologize if there are grammatical errors but I am not a native English speaker )

Hello.. I've been testing ART with Clarett for a few months now.. and I have many doubts..
There is a lot of white noise when I turn up the microphone gain.. and some knobs on the ART I don't know how they should be set.. for example, the IMPEDANCE knob...

I am currently using the Lewitt 940 microphone.

The microphone is connected to the front input of the ART.. And the ART goes into the Clarett with a balanced jack cable.. Then the clarett to the PC..

( I apologize if there are grammatical errors but I am not a native English speaker )
That Art pre does not get a particularly great response here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/art-voice-channel

Whenever a pre amp is added to an interface it is always a balance of settings (called "gain staging") to get the optimum noise and overload performance. Focusrite kit has very low intrinsic noise and so anything added to its 'front end' is likely to increase noise.

Variable impedance settings on pre amps are a very new 'fashion' and tend to make only subtle changes in tonal quality and that of course is wholly subjective. Changing the impedance loading will have little to no effect on the system noise.

Dave.

Back