Art Voice Channel.. What cable should I use to connect it to my Clarett+ 8Pre?

PikaGate

Hi everyone, I've purchased an ART Voice Channel and I need to connect it to my audio interface (Focurite Clarett+ 8pre)..
What cable should I use? An XLR cable? Or an ADAT cable? Or a TRS cable?

I'm sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, but I've never done it before.

I'm new to the forum. Thank you all :-)o_O

There are advantages to using the S/PDIF output. You don't use up any analogue inputs. Levels are set for you.
There is no chance of introducing a ground loop.
But of course you can try both.

Dave.

When you see a combo (XLR+1/4") jack labeld Mic/Line, you can probably assume that the 1/4" input assumes a LINE signal, so I would use a 1/4" TRS cable and go into one of those inputs on the back. But, of course, RTFM, and see what the Focusrite folks say. You will need to use the F'rite software app if you go S/PDIF or ADAT just to make sure the clock m/s is correct.

Ok, thank you very much!
I will run some experiments in the next few days and let you know if there are any issues, so you can give me an help :ROFLMAO:

Hello.. I connected the AKG 414 microphone to the balanced XLR input of the Art Voicechannel... The one at the back...
Then I connected the Art Voicechannel to the Clarett+ using a balanced TRS cable... Did I do it correctly?

I am attaching the photos..

Or should I have connected the microphone to the Clarett first and then the Clarett to the ART?

1683969941336.jpg

1683969941344.jpg

I think I'd use the XLR input on the front of the ART, but I don't know for sure what the difference is. Otherwise, that looks right.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I've purchased an ART Voice Channel and I need to connect it to my audio interface (Focurite Clarett+ 8pre)..
What cable should I use? An XLR cable? Or an ADAT cable? Or a TRS cable?

I'm sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, but I've never done it before.

I'm new to the forum. Thank you all :-)o_O
I would plug the ART Voice Channel directly into the computer - I don't see any advantage to putting another preamp inline.

I would plug the ART Voice Channel directly into the computer - I don't see any advantage to putting another preamp inline.
That would be true if you only need one channel at a time, but if you need more than one channel, you need to go through the ART, then the Clarett into the computer.

That would be true if you only need one channel at a time, but if you need more than one channel, you need to go through the ART, then the Clarett into the computer.
That makes no sense - do you have multiple ART Voice Channel's operating at the same time?

BSG gets it. Even if you aren't recording more than a vocal at this time, you might want more than one channel for drums, guitar, piano. I wouldn't want to be swapping to different interfaces, changing drivers, etc every time you want to record.

There is also the option to use the optical out of the ART into the Clarett+. That would take the Clarett's preamps out of the process and still shouldn't require swapping devices. That would also work using the optical out of the Clarett into the ART, but would limit you to 44/48k to use the 8 channels. Going the other way, you can use the 88/96 capability of the ART.

Last edited:
If they want to plug a guitar in and play while they sing, they would need to use the Clarett for both.
And you would put the Art on one channel and the Guitar direct on another? I would still bypass the Clarett if I was using the Art - you're stacking preamps and not in good way - unless you like the sound - then never mind.

And you would put the Art on one channel and the Guitar direct on another? I would still bypass the Clarett if I was using the Art - you're stacking preamps and not in good way - unless you like the sound - then never mind.
If the interface is effectively flat and transparent, I don't see a problem with putting another preamp I front of it, especially using the line level input of the Clarett (even if it's just a padded down mic inputs). And I wasn't trying to decide what sounds good for the OP, just clarify how to connect the two devices correctly.

If you're recording two or even three channels at once, how would you bypass the Clarett? The digital connection might be a way, but maybe the OP prefers the simplicity of the TRS cable.

If the interface is effectively flat and transparent, I don't see a problem with putting another preamp I front of it, especially using the line level input of the Clarett (even if it's just a padded down mic inputs). And I wasn't trying to decide what sounds good for the OP, just clarify how to connect the two devices correctly.

If you're recording two or even three channels at once, how would you bypass the Clarett? The digital connection might be a way, but maybe the OP prefers the simplicity of the TRS cable.
You Run the ART through it's USB and choose it in the Inputs on your DAW - then you also run the Claret and Choose it's inputs on your DAW.

Back