Art Tube PreAmp Noisy

supercharge

Hello all,

I just bought an Art Tube PreAmp. After connectting to my soundcard's line in, it gave me so much noise, even I could hear radio broadcasters talking. It was noisy even without connecting the microphone. Of couse, when I turned down and input and output levels, no noise and also no sound. Does anyone know how to solve this? I read so many reviews on the Preamp that it should give very nice fat voice, no complaints.

Let me know if you need further information of my system. Soundcard is Sound Blaster Live.

Thank you in advance :o

I'm using two cables, both 1/4 to xlr. One goes from Mic to Preamp and one goes from preamp to sound card. These cables came with the microphones and I do not know their brands but they're supposed to be balanced and good quality.

Thanks

Try a XLR to XLR for the mic to preamp. The XLR to 1/4 between the pre and the soundcard should be okay, although I'm not really familiar with that soundcard.

The problem is that whether or not the microphone is connected, the noise still exists. I removed the microphone once and the noise was still there, so I don't think it's cable-problem.

I also tried connecting the preamp to my external mixer-amplifier and again the noise showed up, no computer involved. Could it be a defective pre-amp?

Thanks

you were picking up RADIO on that??

uh, wierd. haha. are you sure? haha.

I mean, I have no idea really - but I'd still ask if your house's power was all grounded ok at the outlet.

well, for example when you plug in your amp to that outlet, is there pretty much always a hum? that's a sign.

the newer surge protectors I think now check for grounding too. they have lights, I think...and in the manual it will say "if this light is lit please contact an electrician because your home's internal wiring is not right!". haha something like that.

I'm not genius though, hopefuglly somebody else here can answer this one?

I have the ART DPSII Digital Valve Preamp which is kind of the rack equivalent of the ART TubeMP V3. Mine is very clean and quiet, although my mains supply is probably fairly clean too, if there is such a thing on a domestic supply.

It's possible that you could have other sources of interference in your neighbourhood that are beyond your control. Also like someone else said earlier, your cables could be of poor quality or not shielded (balanced cabling and connections can help a lot here). You could also try some kind of ground loop DI box to isolate the signal, but I would start with your cables and connections first and take it slowly step by step, until you root out the source of your problem.

Ego :)

Back