ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp

I'll also vouche for the good use on BASS.

I bought my brother one for Christmas.

Tried it on a variety of things, LDC's, SM57's, Vocal's, acoustic.

IMHO.....

Good Value for a nice sounding BASS DI.

Poor for everything else.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

(I stole that saying from somebody on this BBS, but's it's SO TRUE)

Not a huge fan of it on a lot of things but sounds fantastic on snare drum if driven just a bit! For when you want that big thick kinda splatty, americana sound. It's not fast for lots of attack (but you can get that with a limiter possibly) but thick and harmonic. Cool and useful, plus hey, phase reverse for when miking top and bottom snare!

I bought 2 on this sale. I changed the tubes to JJ. Last night I recorded a bass track, then rhythm guitar and lead. Nice tone on the bass and clean sound on the les paul. I also own other pres (2 vtb-1 and the ART 2 channel v3 rackmount) and this was just an experiment.

My findings are they are built solidly and had no noise, have nice tone and sounded airy but probably added some mids and lows (which give character to the bass), and for what I was playing last night (slow blues) added a nice touch to the tone of my les paul.

For what it is there's no reason to knock it! Sure there's much better, but we understand that. We're talking about spending $30 for a preamp. Let's get real!

You're right that it doesn't boost the gain a very lot.

Last edited:
The TPS2 is ok, nothing special. It's nice to have a dial that lets you experiment with various suggested purposes. It's fun to experiment with and learn about new kinds of sounds a preamp can provide. The TPS (I have an older model) was my first step up from using my mixer's preamps. It still serves me well when I record drums and need at least 6 preamps all at once. But I think the smaller cheaper tube mp with the jj tube replacement has a nicer character, certainly for bass. At least that's what I think right now. It's too soon for me to be sure.

What is a jj tube ?

What drums do you put through the TPS2, ie: Overheads, Snare, Bass, etc.

What V3 do you usually select for the drums?

btw... yeah, this was my first pre beyond what my mixer had in it.

JJ is a company that sells tubes. google them and you'll find it right away.

I don't have a particular preference to which settings or which part of the set to use with the TPS. I must tell you that I'm probably not the right guy to ask. I haven't had the time to analyze this right. I've been slowly buying the mics and preamps that I need but especially with my drums, since I hav a family and usually when I'm ready to try recording someone is about to go to sleep, it's taking me too long to do a decent series of tests.

I will give you all a great hot tip. I have discovered an excellent sdc for use on acoustic guitar and overheads and even location recording of concerts. Superlux S241/U3. Honest. They're always on sale on eBay and if you contact the dealer and buy 2 directly from him, he'll give you a break. I've had mine for almost a year and am more and more impressed with them each time I use them.

I can' answer that as I never did and don't know if it will be better. I assume it will help a bit but like I said, I don't know.

Back