ART Tube MP on snare

theletterq

I gave this a try last night and have to say that I am pretty impressed. Depending on the sound you're going for of course, throw a 57 into a Toob MP on a snare and crank the gain. Huge and fat and "smacky." :)

yeah, that works...

....i recently used a 57 and an MXL 603 with some ART tube's on the snare for some demo work....and cranked it so the ARt was just blipping into the red. It really gave us the snare tone that were after; a fat, rounded out type of sound. Used one the kick as well...ended up being a great way to give a not so great drum kit for recording (tama swingstar) some flavour and appeal...

T

I think what you guys are liking is the extra tube distortion it can add as a result of depriving the toob of the necessary voltage, etc.

A hybrid design does kind of make sense for that app, when you think of it. The solid-state portion is probably going to respond quicker to transient-y stuff like a snare -- while the toob portion can add a little grit without otherwise mucking things up too bad.

I have a hunch that the Aphex 107 or 207 might make for an interesting snare color, as well -- though I have yet to try it.

ScienceOne said:
How are you guys miking these drums, i wanna know. Top or bottom of the snare? inside or outside of the bass?

Top, about 1 inch inside the rim and about 3 inches above the head.

Back