Art TPS Tube PRe or DMP-3

nick6572

I am in need of another pre and have narrowed it down to either the ART TPS or the DMP-3. I just got a stereo pair of MXL 603's and want a 2 channel pre to use with them. I have an Art Tube Pre/ Compressor unit as my only pre and love the way it sounds with my CAD M39 for vocals so the Art is appealing, but the ravings about the DMP-3 are hard to ignore. I'm looking for comments from anyone who has used both of these and can give me a good comparison. If someone has a strong opinion of another 2 channel pre in this price range lets hear it. I record drumset, congas, bass, vocals, acoustic and electric guitar. Thanks!

I think that it really depends on what you are looking for? a nice clean preamp (dmp3) or one that will color your sound a bit (art tps)?

I don't know that the art tps will be too different from the art pre/compressor unit that you already have...other than the presets and built in limiter

I had the ART DPS for a couple of weeks, and found it to be really noisy. Not just the noise in the signal path, but the sucker hummed to the point where a pencil would vibrate on top of it. I heard from other people that I just got a bad unit, and ART would warrantee it, but I returned it. I've got a DMP2 now and I like it a lot better. The V3 toob sound options were kind of neat, and I could see it for some applications, but I think that the DMP2 is more useful for me overall. The DMP3 is even nicer still with meters and 10db pads.

My $.02

-J

In a dual at that price range, get the DMP3.
Then you have a "clean" type of pre to go along with your Art,
which is partly an effects unit due to the "toob" in it.

Chris

I am using a Yamaha MD8 to record on. I also have a Behringher UB1204-FX PRO to mix all my drum mics into before going into the MD8.I am assuming using a pre for the 603's would be a big improvment. It sure was when I got the ART for the CAD. I am on the right path yes??

Back