ART TPS II vs. Behringer T1953 Tube Ultragain

solo2racr

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW
Being comparable in price, what would be the better of the 2. I'm getting rid of my mixer and want to go straight from one of these into the DAW.

Edit: I guess I should say, when asking "what would be the better of the 2", I'm referring to reliability and quality. They both look to have similar features. If anyone has experience with one or both of these, how would you describe how they sound?

Last edited:
Never mind. I got answers to this same question over at Studio Central. Nothing to look at here. Move along please. :-)

...best advice would be "run away screaming from either"...look into the M-Audio DMP3...a "real" mic pre for cheap...

Thanks for the answer. Price point on the DMP looks to be similar to the others as well. I have since read that the tubes in the 2 that I mentioned are more for show than go. Not that that was an issue. Just looking for a clean (read no noisy) pre in the mid $150.00 range.

Thanks again.

if you want clean the DMP3 is definitly the way to go. and if you look around a bit you could probably pick up a used ART MPA Gold for 200ish.

i would also skip those two that you mentioned.

...many of the pres that are classified as "clean" employ the Burr Brown Op Amps...Grace, Rane MSB-1, and the DMP3 among others...these, IMHO, are the best pre circuits to start out with...you can always treat and "dirty them up" in the box later...start clean and go from there...;)

I know the original poster has figured this out, but for the sake of the board's knowledge (search feature) I'll put in my $.02. I have the DPSII which from what I understand is the same as the TPSII except it doesn't have on board digital converters. I can not get very much gain out of mine. I only use it to add 2 more channels to my Firepod, (Usually for guide guitar and maybe a room mic.) and I would much rather be working with the Presonus preamps than the Art preamps. I've noticed when I switch to the presets in the Art I get more volume, but I have no idea what they did to do it, there's no explanation of what they are. I like to use a ribbon when tracking a guiding guitar part with drums and this thing barely has enough juice to work. The Firepod (although requires a lot of gain on the knob) has headroom to spare with the same ribbon.

Back