Art Pro Channel Preamp

Never seen them before, but given the ART TubeMP is perhaps as good as starved-plate tube pres get, and especially IF that thing does not feature a starved-plate tube pre, I'd say you might be on to something.

I haven't used the Pro Channel but have used the ART MPA Gold preamp. I found this to be disappointing because it was very noisy! I tried upgrading the tubes to NOS Telefunkens and still found it to sound very noisy. This was a shame as I liked the tone of the preamp and it does offer a lot of features.
I picked up a Presonus Eureka a while ago and am seriously impressed with this channel strip!

PreSonus Eureka | Sweetwater.com

It does cost more than the Pro Channel but the preamp section alone compared to the MPA Gold sounds much better. This is possibly the quietest preamp I've owned and that's quite a few ( SPL Gold Mic, M-Audio Tampa, M-Audio DMP3, Studio Projects VTB1, Focusrite TrakMaster, ART MPA Gold ).
I now also own a Focusrite ISA One and UA Solo610. The Eureka sounds at least as good as these. The compressor also sounds great and is clean and uncolored!

You can pick the Eureka up cheaper on ebay and they come up secondhand from fairly often. I paid £100 for mine!

Wes just do what Jim is doing and save up for a Vintech. For when you get the SM7b that is on your wish list the Art will be noisey as explained by Dickiefunk.

But if that's a we bit much for the wallet go for a Golden Age PRE-73 MK2 I think you'll enjoy that over the Art.

You can get a EH 12ay7, but be warned that you can only use the xlr out to a balanced xlr input in a converter. Otherwise its incredibly noisy, but using xlr to xlr, its very quiet and sounds awesome. it does have a 1/4 inch output, but they should really just remove that and save money, its noise city.

The ART is okay. Its better than many pres in its price range. The Eureka is a definite step up.

Vintech is great gear. I wonder if you're aware that none of them come with a power supply?

Forgot to mention that I also had a GAP PRE73 and also found this quite noisy! Potentially this preamp could be great but Bo from GA confirmed that the PRE73 has some issues with poor sheiling and grounding noise.

Golden Age are releasing a DLX version of the PRE73 which will sort this out with a different psu setup. It will also contain the Carnill transformers as stock! Now this sounds very interesting!

I would still take the Eureka over the PRE73 I owned. The other budget pre that I really liked was the M-Audio Tampa.

Forgot to mention that I also had a GAP PRE73 and also found this quite noisy! Potentially this preamp could be great but Bo from GA confirmed that the PRE73 has some issues with poor sheiling and grounding noise.

Golden Age are releasing a DLX version of the PRE73 which will sort this out with a different psu setup. It will also contain the Carnill transformers as stock! Now this sounds very interesting!

I would still take the Eureka over the PRE73 I owned. The other budget pre that I really liked was the M-Audio Tampa.

Can't wait for that upgrade! ! !

I seem to see those Golden Age pres everywhere. I don't think I am anywhere near a Vintech budget wise (or the Eureka :p). But I might be able to swing $350 for the Golden Age PRE-73 MK2 in the near future. Although I do like the idea of getting something with a "real" compressor on it as opposed to just using DAW plug-ins (although maybe it doesn't really matter?).

PM me that list Henry - maybe there is something there that might be a good match.

I was just doing this for my own comparrison but I figures - WTH might as well share it...

Just wanted to compare my existing mic - the MXL 2010 to the Shure SM7b so I created a graph. Although I seem to remember a website that generated these for you - you select two mics and it creates a graph... but I can't remember the URL - anyway...

MXL2010-Shuresm7b.png

The Shure is much flatter, but I seem to be getting a good sound from the MXL so maybe I don;t need to worry about it. The peak at 10khz might be an issue since I can't hear that range due to my tinnitus :p But that's one more reason I have Jimmy check my mixes :laughings:

Wow - nice - I didn't even think about checking ebay - which is weird cause I buy a lot of crap from ebay :)

The Eureka says it provides 52 db of Gain but the Shure SM7b says it wants 60 - of course I don't own that mic yet so...

Actually the Eureka has 72db of gain! 52db input gain, 10db gain in the compressor and another extra 10db output gain! It is also an extremely quiet preamp!!

btw, the ART ProChannel is not the same as the MPA Gold or the Tube MP. It is a flexible, interesting unit with over 70db gain. It is better than most entry level pres, and a very good value at it's current price. It used to sell for much more.

I have never used the Eureka, but I have used other Presonus preamps. Shall I now render an opinion about the Eureka based on my experience with OTHER Presonus products. I think not.

I am shopping pres again...

Here are a few that got some good reviews

Studio Projects VTB-1 Tube Blend Mic Preamp (12AX7 tube) $149
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/studio-projects-vtb-1-tube-blend-mic-preamp/180360000000000

Focusrite Platinum VoiceMaster Pro (about $270 used)
Review of the Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster Pro

Oh and whats the difference between a channel strip and a pre-amp? Is there one? Does channel strip just mean it has similar controls to a mixer channel? EQ/Gain/Etc. ?

Last edited:
I am shopping pres again...

Here are a few that got some good reviews

Studio Projects VTB-1 Tube Blend Mic Preamp (12AX7 tube) $149
Studio Projects VTB-1 Tube Blend Mic Preamp: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Focusrite Platinum VoiceMaster Pro (about $270 used)
Review of the Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster Pro

Oh and whats the difference between a channel strip and a pre-amp? Is there one? Does channel strip just mean it has similar controls to a mixer channel? EQ/Gain/Etc. ?

Yes your right Wes preamp with all the bells and whistles.

Back