ART Pro Channel and V-amp

verticalplunge

Hi folks,

Just purchased an ART Pro Channel and upgraded my v-amp. I've heard of people using the Art as a front end for electric guitar. I was curious if there were any people in here who had done that and if any of them used an amp simulator with it. I've tried without much success and could use some tips.

Thanks,

-DC

I run a POD and a J-Station through an Art Tube MP. Not only does it allow me to beef up the signal and perhaps add whatever limited tube "warmth" the ART provides, but it also allows me to run a balance (XLR) cable out of the ART.

Since I keep my guitar gear a fair distance from the computer I need a fairly long cable run back to the computer.

Naturally, you need to manage the various gain stages carefully. I find that if I keep the master out on the amp simulators at a mid point (ie: 11:00 - 12:00) and keep the input and output controls on the ART also at about 12:00 I have better control at the computer input - also, keeping the signals lower seems to keep the "amp' noise down.

I do run the signal through a compressor/gate just before the computer (to get back to a 1/4" jack) so I normally don't use the gate on the amp sim (but I do sometimes use the compression on the amp sim). I also have a BBE462 which I can patch in just before the compressor/gate if I want to "EQ" the guitar signal.

I echo what mikeh said about gain stages. Experiment with those.

I'm using an ART Tube Channel and I've found that going guitar-->amp modeler-->ART preamp works the best for me. I've never got a sound I like plugging the guitar into the preamp first.

I agree with Wide Awake - just in case I was not clear - my signal path is Guitar -> Amp Sim -> Art pre -> Comp/Gate -> Computer

Back