Art Pre Amp into imput????

nick6572

Okay so since I'm supposed to to be able to ask the stupid questions here, here goes. Is it OK to run my Art pre into the XLR channel imput on my Yamaha MD-8 or is that a no-no? How about the 1/4" imput?? So this would be condenser mic>pre>imput on MD-8. What about for live sound? Can I run mic>pre>mixer without frying anything?? Seems to me I'm pre amping a pre amp signal. Is this legal?

I didn't really understand your problem but i can tell you how i run my signal chain: mic---into---art pre---into---recorder input (you can use 1/4" plug or XLR) and it seems to do ok. my friend that does sound does it the same way only the pre is going into the mixer instead of the recorder.

hope this helps.

Zeke

you only need one preamp per channel. an XLR input typically indicates a preamp. go from your pre into a 1/4" input if possible.

I don't really have a problem. Thats the way I've always done it and it sounds great to me. The music director at the church I attend is having a problem with our sound system. The overhead mics in the choir scetion (all condensors) are not picking up enough. My son who plays bass has started to run his bass into my Art pre then out via XLR to the house mixer(an old mackie). It sounds great and he doesn't have to lug his amp back and forth. The director called in a technician from a local audio/PA store and the tech said we should not be running a pre-amp into a mic channel and said we could burn out the channel. I had never heard of this but I am after all a Newbie. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Nick, I don't think you're in any danger of "burning out" a channel on anything. The XLR input on your recorder (or a mixing board in general) is intended for a microphone, which would generally be mic level, not line level. You can run line level into a mic input, but you have to reduce the gain (volume) a lot, or it will clip (overload) the microphone preamp that is built into the recorder or board. The problem with this is that reducing the gain does not reduce the noise produced by the preamp, so as the gain comes down, the noise comprises a bigger and bigger percentage of the total signal.
Now if the preamp in the board or recorder produces a lot of noise, (which they usually do), you may not notice the problem, and in fact, it might even be an improvement. However as additional tracks are laid down this way, the noise effect is cumulative, and with enough tracks, will become unacceptable. It will work better if you use the line out from the preamp to an input on the recorder set for line level.
Be advised, however, that not all "line levels" are created equal. There are 2 versions, -10dBV (consumer line level), and +4dBu (pro line level). I'm not that familiar with your recorder, but my Korg PXR4 is looking for -10, not the +4 output from an external preamp. If I plug a real external preamp into it, it tends to clip the preamp in the PXR4. I solve this problem by running the +4 signal into an EBTECH LLS-2 line level shifter, which turns it into -10dBV, and adds very little noise. It's basically a $50 box. I would say if it sounds great as you say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Long before you overload a channel dangerously, you'll hear clipping (distortion). If you don't, there's probably no problem. Hope this makes sense.-Richie

Back