Art M5 Ribbon

Rski

New to posting on this forum, being doing research for another mike to add to my collection of a Shure 57 and Samson C01. Anyway purchases an Art M5 ribbon mike and was very pleased with the results, here is why.

Electric guitar, I stick my 57 dead center in front of the cone and all works quite well, accept for the edgy highs and the 200 hz bump that results from the close proximity of the dynamic mike.

If I stick the Samson condenser in front of the speaker and lower the gain, sounds kinda weird results with guitar drive happening. However using clean guitar timbers and back the condenser mike up and back about the distance of the an electric guitar, not to bad once positioned right.

The Art M5 doesn't have the sensitivity of the condenser but place the mike about the same position of a dynamic, maybe back a tad and the sound of the amp is solid and pleasing, not the proximity of real close miking nor the exaggerated highs that require EQ to tame down.

The mike pre amp is a Presonus Tube pre with a old 12AX7 tube installed for that greatly warmed up the pre amp.

Back