ART CS2 or DBX 266XL compressor?

fluxburn

I was thinking about both these compressors. I have a RNC and love it and was going to get a joe meek dual channel, but those are sorta $$$.

I was wondering if either of these compressors is any good or has any character. The RNC is sorta just functional and boring, but it does its job well of course.

I'm not familiar with the ART, but the 266XL ain't good. It isn't even bad in a good way, if you know what I mean. Some pieces of junk do cool things when pushed hard. Not this one.

Sorry to be harsh, but me no like.

Well thanks for the info on that dbx 266xl. I am not sure about the art, I used a preamp at college from them, and it was very basic. Not really like a piece of art like an avalon preamp or etc, just something to do the job. No fun in that heh, maybe I might just save up for the joe meek dual channel... the older model would be fine.

fluxburn said:
The RNC is sorta just functional and boring, but it does its job well of course.

What makes the RNC so boring!!?? Is it boring because of it's clean and transparent operation? Is it boring because of it's size?

Dynamic processors are used to shape the dynamics of track's signal less any unwanted audio artifacts. If the unit is boring, you're prob'ly using it incorrectly!

What is it exactly that you are seeking in a comp?

It's fine, it does the job. Whatever looking for another compressor because I need more A, and B would want something different.

Yep. It's about as thrilling as a chick flick marathon on the Lifetime channel.

I'd probably check out an ART Pro VLA if I was looking for something more interesting. That one would probably fall under the no-brainer category, much like the RNC.

The dbx I could take or leave; more likely leave.

Back