art compressor/preamp question

maxpayne

i was lookin online and saw a

ART TubePac Tube Preamp-Compressor/Limiter

does any one know if its any good or is it just a cheap low quality compressor/preamp?

maxpayne said:
i was lookin online and saw a

ART TubePac Tube Preamp-Compressor/Limiter

does any one know if its any good or is it just a cheap low quality compressor/preamp?

I haven't used one, but by reputation i would guess the second option. If it isd what you can afford though, it might be perfectly fine anyway. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Some tried and true budget preamp and compression choices are the M Audio DMP3 for 2 channels you can get one for $159 new, the SP VTB1 for one channel, i think about $89 new, and for compression the FMR RNC for about $150 new. All a bit cheaper used if you find them. I have a older focusrite 1 channel pre with compression that i traded the equivalent of about $175 for and it is ok, but not better than the DPM3 really and i am sure the compression is not as good as the RNC.
In your shoes I would get a DMP3 now, and then add the RNC when you can. compression when tracking can be useful but is by no means required and you will learn more without it for your first recordings.

Daav

Back