Arrrgh, preamp question...

chicopunk13

I'm trying to find a website that was linked in one of the threads on here. I've looked for it and can't find it, but I'm sure one of you fellas will remember it... Could have been middleman who linked it. (Perhaps??)

It deals with the difference between high and low quality preamps (ok yeah, I know you're saying "there's a million of those"), but the most important part is that it has diagrams of the audio spectrum with colored dots representing certain sounds (i.e. guitar, vox, w/e) and where they fit into the sonic spectrum. For the low end pres, the dots are obviously larger and cloudier, interfering more with each other. For the high end pres, they're tighter and more focused. Basically, it gets at the idea of using good pres to get better separation and tighter mixes, a point I want to illustrate for someone and the site I'm thinking of would be the perfect way of doing that. BUT I CAN'T FIND IT.

Help!

What's the jist of the article, that crappy pre's muddy up the signal, which spreads the frequency response of the signal it picks up? I'm guessing in the lower freq's, since all the crappy pre's I ever used sounded bright and harsh. Interesting topic, I hope that site starts working, I wanna see that article! The copy in google cache doesn't have the images :(

Back