Arrgh! Stopped dead with dropouts!

drathbun

I have just bought a new computer (HP Pavilion Notebook ze4400 AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.32Ghz with 512MB Ram) , and a new audio interface (M-audio Audiophile USB). I'm running Sonar 2.1.

I had everything working a week ago and now I get dropouts everytime I press record. It just won't record a second of audio. I've tried all the latency settings on the Audiophile and all the latency settings in Sonar with no effect.

Grrrr.... I'm so frustrated! I feel like I've thrown $3000 down the drain!

Help!!!

Hmmm... is this WDM-drivers? I would update Sonar to version 2.2, and see if ASIO-drivers would do make things better.

Thanks for the fast reply! I upgraded to 2.2 but nothing happened. I went through the entire helpfile on dropouts with no luck. Then I thought it must be something simple - something stupid. It usually is in these cases.... and I was right.

I checked the metronome and it was set to generate the MIDI tone and I didn't have a MIDI device selected. So I turned it off and it works. Funny thing... I turned it back on again and it didn't freeze the recording. Go figure.

Make sure that you have all those background programs dissabled also.
first dissconnect from online
dissable firewall program
dissable antivirus program
no messenger
no update
set windows for best performance NOT best appearance
cntrl panel>system >advanced.> setting under performance

then
open up taskmanager and see which processes can be turned off without crashing your OS (ended)

Ive found that my firewall program is a cpu hog
and the av guard polls as well as too many other programs

Thats just a few if it shows up again

Peace
Bill

EddieRay said:
That's a really good link!

BTW, do you know what the "Do Not Map Through Soundcard" option is all about? The above link says to set this option on (checked). Mine is not checked.
If you like other applications in Windows (such as games and mp3-player) to play through your recording soundcard, then do not check it.

Basically it "removes" the soundcard from Windows, meaning you have to select it specifically in an application to work.

Back