aric audio handmade preamp?

Never heard of him but a 12 volt power supply for a "toob" preamp? That alone would make me look elsewhere.

Well, 12VDC is low even for a starved plate design, unless there is a DC converter inside. The location of the tube socket at the top of the unit is not desirable for reliability and perhaps even noise. 12AX7s run cool enough that there is no need for that level of venting.

Again, without a DC converter, 12VDC is also generally inadequate for a simple solid-state pre; it would limit headroom to about +14dBu. If you are running -10dBV converters, it would be OK; for +4dBu, it's really not enough.

There is also no mention of phantom power; once again a DC converter would be necessary to bring that up to +48V spec. Does it meet the +12V phantom standard? It could rather easily, but it doesn't say if there is any phantom at all.

There are no specs for the unit; I am less interested in the brand of caps than I am in its gain range, max input level, THD, and noise specs. Sorry, but there's no such thing as a "noise-free" preamp; I wish I could make one of those myself.

Oh wait! I just noticed the entire thing is made out of wood. That would explain why the internal cables have to be shielded. I'm sorry, but that is really a major design compromise. It isn't that expensive to buy a metal chassis that is about that shape and size. In fact it's probably cheaper, given the fabrication time the wood case takes.

Well if the "roll bar" to protect the tube is any sign of the brilliance and insight that went into the design, it's good reason to stay away.

Maybe it's just me but, one would think the bar would have to be taller than the tube its self to serve as anything more than an attractive nuisance designed to singe your finger tips when you decide it must really be a handle and try to pick it up while it's running.

Yes I hold the HR record for longest sentence :D

F.S.

Last edited:
Well if the "roll bar" to protect the tube is any sign of the brilliance and insight that went into the design, it's good reason to stay away.

Maybe it's just me but, one would think the bar would have to be taller than the tube its self to serve as anything more than an attractive nuisance designed to singe your finger tips when you decide it must really be a handle and try to pick it up while it's running.

Yes I hold the HR record for longest sentence :D

F.S.
I'm thinking that heat's not an issue with that design... I doubt the tube even glows (during the daytime hours)

Back