Are USB mics any good?

kratos

Im mainly interested whether they give much noise when connected to the pc - or does that depend on the soundcard?

Your soundcard won't change how much noise your USB mic produces when plugged into your computer since when you use a USB mic you aren't using your soundcard for input, only output. The noise on USB mics differs depending on the mic. If you could post a specific mic then we could look at it and determine if it will produce much noise or not. However, be warned that USB mics tend to create latency and aren't great for multi-track recording. If you're just doing single track recordings or need to do some voiceovers or use it for a podcast, a USB mic should be fine.

I used a USB mic for a dvd project that has grossed alot of money. no one cares what mic is used as long as it sounds good.

As to the first question. there are USB preamps that you can plug any mic you want in to it and it will go through the usb port with very little to no noise.

Sound devics makes one. look up usbpre on ebay.

Also there are some good USB mics that just plug righ tin..

go to sweetwater.com and type in: usb microphones

It will give you a list of many usB MICS..

I think the AKG Perception 120 USB kicks butt for the money....

If .... If you must have to use an USB microphone and within the limitations that GP82 pointed out then check out the ~ Blue "Yeti" USB microphone.

I use a Samson CO1u which produces pretty good results. I haven't noticed any major latency issues (although it is there and gets slightly worse over time) in fact I had far worse problems when I used a normal condenser with a firewire interface. Of course it could just be me and my lack of experience/knowledge and, to be honest, if I had the cash I'd get a top notch interface and go the XLR route.

I use a Samson CO1u which produces pretty good results. I haven't noticed any major latency issues (although it is there and gets slightly worse over time) in fact I had far worse problems when I used a normal condenser with a firewire interface. Of course it could just be me and my lack of experience/knowledge and, to be honest, if I had the cash I'd get a top notch interface and go the XLR route.

Then possibly the Yeti Pro! it's a USB and a XLR microphone in one.

So as one can start out with the USB and with time when one can afford to up grade to the XLR portion of the microphone while adding an interface. ;)

The quality varies from mic to mic. Some are pretty bad, others are acceptable.

However, the arguments put forward tend to be as follows. First, they're simple--you just plug it in and go. Second, it's cheaper than an interface and a microphone. Unfortunately, these arguments aren't always true.

In terms of simplicity, SOME people can just "plug and go" but you need only to read this forum (or any other recording related forum) to see the number of problems people have. Computers fail to detect the USB mic or, if the computer detects it, your software decides it can't use it for some reason. Or the drivers turn out to be not compatible with your software. Or you get the input but the levels are wrong and there's no adjustment. I'd guess that of the posts regarding basic problems, USB mics account for at least 30% of the issues we get over on the Audition forum I lurk in.

Second, the price. Yeah. Initially it can look attractive but so often it turns out to be a false economy. Again, you only have to read this forum to see how many people rapidly become dis-satisfied with their shiny new USB microphone and, guess what: as soon as you want something better you have to scrap the USB mic and buy a dedicated interface anyway.

In my opinion, you're always better off buying even a basic USB interface and a conventional microphone. This combination won't be much more expensive than a GOOD USB mic but it'll set you up for future. You can add other mics and mix and match as much as you want.

USB mics are a false economy. They're not necessarily simple and certainly not cheaper once you decide you need to change something. Do yourself a favour and avoid them.

Bob

Back