Are these specs for this mic ok?

bobbo

At musicians friend they have this package for 2 akg d8000s mics, with 2 mic stands and 2 20ft mic cables for $80.
We would be using them for backing vocals on stage and practice.
Here is what a guy at an akg forum said about this mic:

The D 8000 S is a customized microphone for Musician's Friend.
It is designed for use with live vocals, background vocals and is also a very good multipurpose mic.
(instruments on stage etc.)
Here are the tech specs:
hypercardioid polar pattern, frequency range from 70 - 20.000 Hz, sensitivity 2,0 mV/Pa
equivalent noise level 20dBA, max sound pressure level for 1/3% THD: 140/150 dB SPL, electrical impedance
<= 500 Ohms, recommended load impedance >= 1.200 Ohms.

Has anyone ever tried one of these mics, or if you haven't do the specs seem to sound ok, not for recording, but for on stage?
Thanks.

You listen with your ears, not your eyes......

...specs really don't tell you enough to make a decision without actually trying or using a mic...........!

I agree 200% with Bruce on the mic evaluation... But...that may not be practical in your situation...especially ordering out of a catalog, etc. As a package deal, you ought to be fairly satisfied, unless you are very critical about your stage equipment. The hypercardiod pattern will be good for live use. You are NOT spending very much money for the equipment you are getting, so consider that. I have NEVER heard these mics, but as a "gamble", I would take the $80 risk if I just needed some practice mics, stands and cords. I would guess that since you are asking this question, you probably won't hear a MAJOR difference to justify spending three times the amount for the same equipment. If they don't cut it for live, get something a little better, and use what you got for band practice then...or recording talkback mics...whatever.

Back