Are these guys any good?

lost studios

I didn't do the recording or the mix... A friend of mine in this band brought this to me to try and fix some frequency problems... What do you think of the music? I've lost most of my objectivity because I know them and helped with preproduction a few months ago....

thanks
ls

here's the track

Ok, here are some things that ran through my head as I was listening.

Mix is a little too heavy in the vocal range needs some EQ work. The snare sound does not work for me. Drums are totally buried other than the snare which becomes annoying towards the end.

The lo mids are too crowded EQ wise.

I would have compressed the background vocals more, given them a different sound. They are very similar to the lead vocal in tone which would not be my preference.

thanks for the replies...

Like I said though.. I didn't record or mix this, I was just wondering if you liked the song. I'm going to be doing some work for them as far as mastering the track even though whoever mixed it squashed the hell out of it and peak limited it.

I'll take the EQ suggestions into serious consideration. I actually agree 100%. Not much I can do about the background vocs. The drums were done on a V-Session kit too I think.

I don't think it's too bad a demo track though considering they only paid $150 for it. :)

thanks again.
jay

Sorry the AE took over in me.

Did I like it?

I can't say it called out to me to play again. But for $150 its not bad.

I liked the softer parts, but the heavier stuff didn't really do anything for me. I think part of that is the muddy mix. I concur with Middleman about the snare sound, but I know you can't do anything about it.

As a whole, the song is just too generic-hard-rockish, and I probably wouldn't give it a second listen.

I guess that's what you're looking for. :)

travis

Thanks for the replies!

I'm pulling the song from the server... They've read your replies and are taking the constructive criticism well... ;)

take care
jay

Back