Are these Fake?

That looks like a stock photo, but it looksjust like mine, which is a couple years old.

daav

You can always ask Alan at PMI Audio. When the Toft ATC2 first came out there was a company on ebay selling them cheaper than anybody. I called PMI to ask if the seller was a dealer. (which he was)

It looks like a first generation B3 to me (looks like the one I have). That's a killer price for a B3 IMHO...

That's right. This is the older version. The newer version just has the nice red logo. I don't think this would be a bad price to pay. The older B3's are very nice.

I was about to purchase a B-1 when I saw this on ebay. would you buy this over a B-1 as an all purpose mic?
for guitar cabs, acoustic guitars, vocals, and possibly even a bass.

according to many folks here, as well as alan at one point or another (do a search), the B1 sounds different than the B3 in cardioid mode.

just something to keep in mind when determining "B1 or B3".

cheers,
wade

So is the B3 mic considered better than the B1? its more expensive and I know that doesn't always make it better. I want to mic a guitar 2X12 amp with it and I see that the B1 states that it is for that and I don't see it on the B3.

But the bottom line is if you can get an older model B3 for 99.00 and its going to cost 119.00 for a B1 which would you buy for a multipurpose mic?

new2mix said:
So is the B3 mic considered better than the B1? its more expensive and I know that doesn't always make it better. I want to mic a guitar 2X12 amp with it and I see that the B1 states that it is for that and I don't see it on the B3.

But the bottom line is if you can get an older model B3 for 99.00 and its going to cost 119.00 for a B1 which would you buy for a multipurpose mic?

"Better" isn't the word I'd use... "more flexible" is what I'd call the B3 compared to a B1. The SP B1 is a great single pattern (cardioid) LDC mic; the B3 is a great three pattern mic. I myself own two B1's and a B3. Personally, I think an SP B3 in perfect condition for $99 is a great deal, so I'd snag it if I were you. Learn about what the three patterns (cardioid, omni and figure 8) are and how they are usually used, and you'll realize how many things you'll be able to do with the B3.

:cool:

The B3 will still handle the guitar cabs though right? and I appreciate the info. It is apparently an older style B3 that is brand new for sale for 99$s

new2mix said:
The B3 will still handle the guitar cabs though right? and I appreciate the info. It is apparently an older style B3 that is brand new for sale for 99$s

Oh yeah - it'll definately handle an electric guitar amp cab, or an acoustic guitar, or a vocal, or many types of percussion, or ... pretty much anything else!

If this is your first LDC, just remember that this type of mic is very sensitive, and can "hear" extremely well, (they can hear your footsteps, your breathing, your whiskers as you scratch your chin, the neighbors lawnmower, the washing machine downstairs, your buddy taking a leak in the bathroom upstairs, your stomach growling, etc.), so don't eat chili before a recording session. ;)

I have an MXL 909 mic already do I know how sensitive they are. I actually had a head cold and could hear my breathing in between louder parts on the acoustic and had to scratch a track.

thanks for the info guys..

Back