Are these absortion panels a decent deal?

well, let's do the math....

Roxul SnS at Lowes - $54 for a 12pk of 47x15. You'll get 8 48x24 panels out of that.
Frame using 1x4 fir = $5.20 per panel x 8 = ~$42

Fabric is cheap. You want light polyester that you can blow through. Go to Walmart and look in their fabric clearance bin. They come in 60" wide rolls and cost per linear yard at about $1.50 per yard. You need about 1.5 linear yards of fabric per panel. Round up it's $3 per panel; 8 panels = $24.

$54
$42
$24
$120 for 8 panels.

Or this guy: 8 panels @ $35 = $280.
Maybe offer him $25 per panel and pay $200. I'd consider that a worthwhile deal. He has been advertising since April so maybe he's ready to deal.

How many panels do you need?

Yeah, looks very reasonable when u consider the costs mentioned above and MOST OF ALL THE TIME AND LABOR, at least a few days of work or a week part time, so seems like a good deal to me. THey don't look commercial perfect but look pretty good in terms of build.

But... yes 3 inches is not deep enough for usual straddling corners a bass traps, usually 4-6-more. But for the price might be worth it to augment them in sandwiches or use them for primary reflection points etc..

But... yes 3 inches is not deep enough for usual straddling corners a bass traps, usually 4-6-more. But

Yeah, I meant to talk about that. Thanks for bringing that up. 3 inch thickness is probably not enough for corner traps in a typical studio. But if you're straddling a corner, you can fill the void with cheaper pink fluffy and it will work well.

I have 2" thick panels around my room; 12 of them. But my room is small and I don't get very loud in here. I don't consider my little space to be a typical studio and I think I get good results with the 2" panels. Pink fluffy behind each corner panel, though, and it works good. Corners are the important spots to treat.

Yeah, I meant to talk about that. Thanks for bringing that up. 3 inch thickness is probably not enough for corner traps in a typical studio. But if you're straddling a corner, you can fill the void with cheaper pink fluffy and it will work well.

I have 2" thick panels around my room; 12 of them. But my room is small and I don't get very loud in here. I don't consider my little space to be a typical studio and I think I get good results with the 2" panels. Pink fluffy behind each corner panel, though, and it works good. Corners are the important spots to treat.

Yep. :)

Awesome thanks. Ive been wanting to make my own but I haven't had time with work, 2 young kids and a wife so I don't mid paying more for ones that are made already. I think this guy builds them and sells them because he renews this ad every month.I'll email him and see if he can make thicker traps for the corners.

Thanks again.

Let us know how you make out. There is a potential market for this guy as we get a lot of people asking about how to do it once they realize they NEED to do it.

Awesome thanks. Ive been wanting to make my own but I haven't had time with work, 2 young kids and a wife so I don't mid paying more for ones that are made already. I think this guy builds them and sells them because he renews this ad every month.I'll email him and see if he can make thicker traps for the corners.

Thanks again.

Yeah let us know if he does, price and the shipping costs you will incur. Lastly does he do other colors.

I have built over 60 panels but time is money at a certain price point even for me on a budget.

But as suggested straddling the corners with two vertically stacked is the ticket and I have maybe 16 of these set up like this in different room corners. They are 4x2x6 inches deep, but I still put corner fill behind them, but without filling up the whole space behind, I leave several inches between the wall and the corner fill. No ones sees that behind the traps, so doesn't need to be totally pretty. Some I made chicken wire tubes and made Roxul lined tube traps to go behind. I have some ACS tube traps and great, but crazy pricey. I also made basically a square blanket, or what not laid roxul on big sheet of nice fabric and sewed it like a pillow case sort of. Used spray adhesive to keep the Roxul in place. They basically stand on their own so an the fibers are concealed, not all the way to the ceiling, but I guess I could hang them easily from the ceiling too. Just a thought if u go the 3 inch and want more.

You sewed the fabric? I've been asking about using spray adhesive or hot glue gun, for frameless traps, guess it would depend on the material, burlap has too many 'holes' for spray to work, I think.

Yeah, bought a relatively cheap sewing machine, but since making I think 5 or 6 of the corner fill type thingys, never turned it on again. Maybe another sewing project will pop up again. Sewed it like a pillow case and then sewed it shut. Spray adhesive, just kept the roxul from moving around on the fabric. The spray or hot glue will not hold, as the ROxul as u already know is not light and it needs to hold it together and seal well.

You sewed the fabric? I've been asking about using spray adhesive or hot glue gun, for frameless traps, guess it would depend on the material, burlap has too many 'holes' for spray to work, I think.

I used spray adhesive for my panels. But I used a light polyester fabric, so tighter knit than burlap. Just don't breathe that stuff. Might be non-toxic, but you'll be coughing for days. :(

I hadn't thought of covering the pink fluffy. Maybe I should do that.

I use s staple gun for the panels to the wood frame. Fabric, I use thin cotton or sometimes certain types of suede like fabric, if it is thin and porous.

Yeah, I would cover the pink insulation too.

All that stuff is nasty to be breathing.

I used staples for my wood-framed traps, too. Just trying to think of some options for frameless panels. Definitely cover the pink stuff, nasty-itchy!

I used staples for my wood-framed traps, too. Just trying to think of some options for frameless panels. Definitely cover the pink stuff, nasty-itchy!

I'm glad you said that as I was thinking, you really don't want that loose.

Back