Are there quiet-er cymbals?

meinl generationX crashes are rather quiet and they open up fast. They aren't that great for live situations, but work well in the studio. Thomas lang uses them.

There comes a point with cymbals........

that it doesn't matter how much harder you are hitting them, they won't get any louder, just distorted and they break. I have seen tons of heavy metal/punk rock drummer wannabes that demolish cymbals in a couple of days by pounding on them with all their strength using baseball bat sized sticks. If you are really encouraging that, then I very respectfully disagree with you.
As has been said on this board many times in the past about Jon Bonham: He was such a masterful player that he knew he could hit his drums real hard and his cymbals softer. This is why his playing is so musical. If you are just going to wallop cymbals with all of your might, then you may as well buy the cheap crappy cymbals anyway because they'll all sound the same, screaming and distorted.
Then again, maybe I'm reading you wrong and you're playing the part of an arrogant rock drummer just to get a rise out of people.

that it doesn't matter how much harder you are hitting them, they won't get any louder, just distorted and they break. I have seen tons of heavy metal/punk rock drummer wannabes that demolish cymbals in a couple of days by pounding on them with all their strength using baseball bat sized sticks. If you are really encouraging that, then I very respectfully disagree with you.
As has been said on this board many times in the past about Jon Bonham: He was such a masterful player that he knew he could hit his drums real hard and his cymbals softer. This is why his playing is so musical. If you are just going to wallop cymbals with all of your might, then you may as well buy the cheap crappy cymbals anyway because they'll all sound the same, screaming and distorted.
Then again, maybe I'm reading you wrong and you're playing the part of an arrogant rock drummer just to get a rise out of people.

Who are you talking to? Me?

Where did I ever say to hit the cymbals as hard as you can with the biggest sticks you can find?

Man! I'm just teasin' you a little bit...........

I used this opportunity to address the issue of otherwise competant drummers abusing poor defenseless cymbals, that's all.

If you are really encouraging that, then I very respectfully disagree with you..

Who are you addressing with this comment? I don't see anyone encouraging anything of the sort.

As has been said on this board many times in the past about Jon Bonham: He was such a masterful player that he knew he could hit his drums real hard and his cymbals softer. This is why his playing is so musical

I'd say Mr. Bonham's drumming is so musical because he was such a great drummer. The part about hitting drums hard and cymbals soft? Not so much.

Anyone with two fingers of forehead (thanks jordokid) will quickly realize that cymbals have lots of dynamic range and that various positions within that range are appropriate at various times for various pieces.

Strictly from a guitarist's point of view... If I have to turn up my amp, I am playing with the wrong drummer. Fortunately there are a few "soft" drummers around for my playing preferance, just like there are plenty of guitarists who like to play louder than I do for the heavy handed drummers out there. Jam with enough people and eventualy you will find musicians who share common ground reguarding volume. Just don't confuse playing with intensity and playing loud, they are two very different things.

It's a matter of adapting your gear to the music style you play. If you're in a jazz band you shouldn't be playing 20" RUDE crash/rides, same as a 16" paperthin 2oo2 won't fit in a deathmetal band.

but, people need to understand also that drums are loud. You can play with alot of dynamics, but when you need to drive a song with a solid backbeat you can't just be tapping your snare.

That's bullshit. You obviously have no concept of dynamics or style.

dude, you can use one as a ride maybe. You can't open up a friggen 20" RUDE crash/ride with a light stroke of a jazz stick. It's just a loud cymbal (if used as a crash) period.

(and I'm not saying this because I don't like the rude crashes or something because I have an 18" RUDE thin crash and I love it.)

dude, you can use one as a ride maybe. You can't open up a friggen 20" RUDE crash/ride with a light stroke of a jazz stick. It's just a loud cymbal (if used as a crash) period.

(and I'm not saying this because I don't like the rude crashes or something because I have an 18" RUDE thin crash and I love it.)

Homeslice, I was kidding.

Back