Are there any electronics builders out there?

haburton

Are there any electronics builders out there? If so, tell us about your experiences, good and bad, tips, tricks, etc. Also, have any of you used PAIA stuff? Do you know of any other worthy kits?

Thanks for the info Ethan. I saw that a lot of people read it but you're the only one to reply. This has happened to me a good bit here. I'm getting a complex, is it my breath? Oh yeah, no breath in cyberspace. Sorry. Only kidding. I've been building other electronics for years and have started looking into kits, designing my own, etc.

I did build the PAIA RIAA Preamp and man is it a great device. My recordings of my old LPs onto CD are great. Not too shrill as a linear amplifier would be but plenty of highs. Lots of sound to work with. Fed that into my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card and it's great.

Now I'm looking into pre-amps. I'm trying to understand why a simple op-amp preamp made with an ultra low-noise op-amp, the LM5532, wouldn't be good. I just don't understand enough of what we're trying to do here. To pay >$100 for a single-channel preamp seem ludicrous, but I have not compared them. I've got a lot of learning to do. Something an electrical engineering degree and 25 years of experience somewhere else don't tell me.

Thanks again for the reply and I'll go read your stuff.

HB,

> I'm trying to understand why a simple op-amp preamp made with an ultra low-noise op-amp, the LM5532, wouldn't be good. <

A preamp based on a 5532 should be fine.

> To pay >$100 for a single-channel preamp seem ludicrous <

To me too.

--Ethan

Well, time is money, so $100 is not that much for somebody that makes a living and could have worked instead of soldering. :-)

But I do agree that for $100 it sure must be possible to build something that whops the ass of the $150 Tube MP. :-)

You have to remember that you probably want to add some kind of metering, phantom power and perhaps a phase switch. A -20db pad might be nice too so you can have a good range of input levels, so you will hardly get it for free.

Back