Are the vocals sitting good in this cover of Come Undone ...Duran Duran

alkie

Are the vocals sitting good in this cover of Come Undone ...Duran Duran REDONE!!!!

I like the way they are sitting but think maybe they are too infront ...Should they sit back further?

I have redone this track with some of the suggestions.

Thanks for any input

Alan

Attachments

• Come Undone Cover.mp3
    8.9 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
No, is the short answer. The vocal is too wooly, doesn't match the sonic characteristics of the remainder of the mix. You need to experiment with the compression of vocals for this track and EQ, reverb and maybe a touch of delay. If you are unsure a vocal is sitting well, then I'd suggest not doing a complete take of the whole song until you personally believe it sounds right, it's quite likely that if you feel very confident that you have it sounding close, as you probably know the track well before recording it, then it might be heading in the right direction. I like the song, keep at it.

Tim

Two thoughts. First - to your question - the vocals are not sitting good. Sometimes they are too infront, sometimes not. As Phrasemaker suggested - you need to experiment with compression and effects. Outside of the singing, which was good overall, did you do the backing track? Cause if we were going to talk about mixes, that is really good....

Two thoughts. First - to your question - the vocals are not sitting good. Sometimes they are too infront, sometimes not. As Phrasemaker suggested - you need to experiment with compression and effects. Outside of the singing, which was good overall, did you do the backing track? Cause if we were going to talk about mixes, that is really good....

Thanks, well the backing track is a mix off 3 different tracks I found. One was lacking nice cymbals but luckily I found one that had that and another had just the right amount of guitar in it and the last track had the best drums not cymbals in it...It took hours lining all tracks up but when they were mixed I was severely happy ...hopefully I can get the vox to sit right and make this better.

What I hear is the low end on the vox it too close to the bass. So as suggested perhaps a low cut would help separate that. I'm also hearing a very wide vocal spread that I don't hear in the original. That might add some mud.

But had I not A/B this with the original I probably not even notice it. It ain't bad as it is. In fact your cover is almost too close to the original.

What I hear is the low end on the vox it too close to the bass. So as suggested perhaps a low cut would help separate that. I'm also hearing a very wide vocal spread that I don't hear in the original. That might add some mud.

But had I not A/B this with the original I probably not even notice it. It ain't bad as it is. In fact your cover is almost too close to the original.

Thanks Manslick, now I can work on that for sure. I always use a thick delay with a stereo widener for vocals, It`s the way I like to hear my voice but I try to make it just felt not heard. Will adjust that and repost song shortly.

That sounds better but can be improved upon, it's not quite a seamless fit into the track yet, some of the high notes sound like they are bumping at the headroom limit for the overall track. It's hard to describe what I think would benefit the lead vocal, so I'll articulate it like this. Imagine a yorkshire pudding with not quite enough air in the batter to make it rise fully? Yep, crap example but saves time on trying to come up with some clever and meaningless technical description. If it were mine, I'd try double tracking that vocal as whole and panning it 15-20% either side of center, with slightly more verb on one of the tracks.

I really like this song, it's hearing stuff like this which makes me ponder doing a cover or two.

all the best

Tim

That sounds better but can be improved upon, it's not quite a seamless fit into the track yet, some of the high notes sound like they are bumping at the headroom limit for the overall track. It's hard to describe what I think would benefit the lead vocal, so I'll articulate it like this. Imagine a yorkshire pudding with not quite enough air in the batter to make it rise fully? Yep, crap example but saves time on trying to come up with some clever and meaningless technical description. If it were mine, I'd try double tracking that vocal as whole and panning it 15-20% either side of center, with slightly more verb on one of the tracks.

I really like this song, it's hearing stuff like this which makes me ponder doing a cover or two.

all the best

Tim

Thanks Tim ......If I figure out some more to do to it I will as for doubletracking it is already triple tracked ...I always sing three times then blend..I sometimes pan 2 of the tracks but mostly only do that for Harmonies and backing vox.

Cheers,

Alan

Back