are the m-audio cards REALLY that big of an improvement...

warrengtype

...over soundblaster cards? I just broke down and ordered the audiophile 192, and I'm currently using the audigy ls. Will the sound quality be all that noticeable? Or is it one of those things that only hardcore gear geeks notice?

Also, does anyone run m-audio and soundblaster cards together? Like, using the soundblaster to run your cd/dvd player, and for gaming... while using the m-audio card for all your recording purposes. Is that even possible? Will there be conflicts with that set up?

warrengtype said:
...over soundblaster cards? I just broke down and ordered the audiophile 192, and I'm currently using the audigy ls. Will the sound quality be all that noticeable? Or is it one of those things that only hardcore gear geeks notice?

you most definitely will hear the difference between, say, a soundblaster live 5.1 with a mic/line-in and an m-audio card. the analog to digital converters are MUCH better, also 1/8" inputs aren't all that hot.

warrengtype said:
Also, does anyone run m-audio and soundblaster cards together? Like, using the soundblaster to run your cd/dvd player, and for gaming... while using the m-audio card for all your recording purposes. Is that even possible? Will there be conflicts with that set up?

i don't see why you'd want to run them together.. there would be no significant advantage and you might run into system issues having them both in there.

shiatzu said:
i don't see why you'd want to run them together.. there would be no significant advantage and you might run into system issues having them both in there.

well I just wasn't sure the m-audio did all that stuff. I (for some reason) was under the impression that it was a one trick pony. meaning, I thought it only handled recording audio. But if it'll handle my dvd/cd players then, uh, yeah, I won't run them both.

cool, thanks. now i'm even more excited to get it.

shiatzu said:
also 1/8" inputs aren't all that hot.

Yeah, I'm also excited to be able to plug my stereo guitar pre-amp straight into the card through those balanced 1/4 inputs. No more headphone out to stereo in for me!

I started recording on a soundblaster audigy.
I later bought an M-Audio Delta 44 (night and freaking day!)

I also at the time had one machine, so I ran both my audigy and Delta together. Delta for music and recording.

Audigy for games pretty much- surround.

But doesn't all depend on the quality of your output media?

I mean if you have hopeless speakers or average headphones, you're not going to hear the quality that the soundcard is made for.

The sound output link in the chain is important. Wouldn't it be pointless to get this flash soundcard, only to output the sound to average speakers.

So, the link in the chain continues...you are compelled to buy quality output media in order to hear the quality that you paid for in the soundcard.

Monkey Allen said:
But doesn't all depend on the quality of your output media?

I mean if you have hopeless speakers or average headphones, you're not going to hear the quality that the soundcard is made for.

The sound output link in the chain is important. Wouldn't it be pointless to get this flash soundcard, only to output the sound to average speakers.

So, the link in the chain continues...you are compelled to buy quality output media in order to hear the quality that you paid for in the soundcard.

Uh, no.

You can hear noisy DACs with crappy speakers as well as clean DACs.

Monkey Allen said:
So you are saying that a pro soundcard will make average speakers sound better?

Yes. I can hear the difference between my Audiophile and SB Live no matter what speakers I use.

Nosferous said:
I started recording on a soundblaster audigy.
I later bought an M-Audio Delta 44 (night and freaking day!)

I also at the time had one machine, so I ran both my audigy and Delta together. Delta for music and recording.

Audigy for games pretty much- surround.

So running two cards IS possible. Although just because your config worked well doesn't mean mine will, but it's something I can at least try, or look into trying...

But good to hear that the difference is clear.

And just for the record, I already have a decent set of speakers.

brzilian said:
Yes. I can hear the difference between my Audiophile and SB Live no matter what speakers I use.

Ok, cool.

I am thinking of buying the M-Audio Delta 44. Can I plug my home stereo into it so I can use the stero's speakers as monitors?

Monkey Allen said:
Ok, cool.

I am thinking of buying the M-Audio Delta 44. Can I plug my home stereo into it so I can use the stero's speakers as monitors?

With the right cables yes. I bought the OmniStudio equiped version of the Delta66 and all I needed was this sort of cable:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/2140

I don't know how you get a signal out of the Delta44 without the Omni though - I guess it depends on what sort of outs the break-out box you choose has...

I have run a 2496 and an audigy card at the same time with no problems. I use the audigy for system sounds and other crap that I don't want anywhere near my recording audio. Remember, no matter what soundblaster says, the audigy is a 16bit card. It can just play back 24 bit audio. You will hear a big difference.

better DAC's don't make your speakers sound better, they make the sound coming out of your crappy speakers sound better.

Back