Are the Apogees really THAT great??

u2bonoman

Here is my dilemma: I am getting a lot of new equipment soon like a MAC G5, Logic 7, a Soundcraft Ghost, etc....and I need to decide on an interface. The Motu 828 looks good, and I was thinking of getting two so I can record up to 16 tracks at once.

The apogee stuff, like http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AD16X/, has 16 channels. If money is really not much of an object, would it be worth it to go ahead and get one. Let's see, it's about $3,750 for the Apogee & Firewire card, and about $1,500 for two Motu's....

What do guys think?

You can record 16 channels with a single Motu 828 if you use the ADAT Lightpipe input. Something like a Presonus Digimax LT will give you 8 preamp channels coming in over ADAT. This leaves all the regular analog line input channels still open.

You'll notice quite a difference with the Apogee's... If money really isn't that much of an object, it's worth it.

Keep in mind that they're only as good as what's being pumped in... Not saying that this is your situation, but someone with an Ultragain Pro probably won't notice much of a difference, you know?

Back