Are the 1/4 outputs on the ART MP's balanced?

nope...
their unbalanced (TS).
The XLR jacks are balanced. You can also use the balanced and unbalanced output at the same time.

ART MP'S

Just wanted to say the ART TUBE MPS ARE GREAT!!!.They put the warmth back in to a digital recording.I use ART TUBE PREAMPS for tracking,then master through a ART TUBE COMPRESSOR,then ART TUBE MP.THEY PUT THE MUSIC BACK IN TO THE MUSIC!!!

Re: ART MP'S

ROCKNROLLRUSS said:
They put the warmth back in to a digital recording.
What a load of horseshit..... :rolleyes:

Friend, if your recordings need "warmth", it's because you aren't tracking properly in the first place. Digital recording gives back what you put into it.

I'M TRACKING CORRECTLY ALRIGHT.I RECORD MUSIC.That's WHAT'S MISSING OUT OF ALOT OF RECORDINGS TOO DIGITAL.DIGITAL BY ITSELF IT IS TOO COLD.I USE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.ANALOG & DIGITAL

TODAY'S MUSIC AINT GOT THE SAME SOUL-I LIKE THAT OLD ROCK N ROLL. Recordings like the BEATLES,ROLLING STONES,LED ZEPPELIN,BOB SEGER AND MANY OTHERS.TO EACH THEIR OWN.iT'S A MATTER OF PREFERENCE. HAPPY RECORDING!

ROCKNROLLRUSS said:
That's WHAT'S MISSING OUT OF ALOT OF RECORDINGS TOO DIGITAL.DIGITAL BY ITSELF IT IS TOO COLD.
If that's what you believe then your understanding of digital audio (and quite possibly your engineering skills) are sorely lacking........

Hey R"N"R Russ,

I used to buy into that "cold digital" load of crap too. Unfortunately, the tube MP just cuts off the ceiling on your highs, adds a little distortion, and voila: "warmth". And yes, depending on the material, that may be the sound that you want.

But digital in and of itself is not cold. It gives you back what you put in.

Bear's reply may seem colder than your digital recordings, (he can be a little brusque) but he knows what he's talking about.

Cold, sterile, brittle sounding digital is usually the result of cheap converters on consumer (rather than audio) oriented soundcards.

The TPS & TPSII's 1/4" are balanced but not the MP's.

Yo' Rock&RollRuss, what omtayslick has stated is basically correct!
I have both the TPS & TPSII and if you set the Var Voicing to a "warmer" preset 1st thier's a 3db cut in hi-end freq's, (even the user's guide notes this) and a slight, but noticeable drop in gain.
Now don't get me wrong, I found some acceptable use for the ART's as they serve well for bass(especially in DI mode), and keys as well as double mic'ing. However, I would not use them on vocs,
screamin' git leads or during mixdown due to the unit's average perf in re to such.

Don't believe the hype about the "coldness" of digital. That's all in the head (and ears) of old-skool analog-olists who still believe digital is evil!:p Furthermore, while no expert in any way possible, I've always adhered to the the common sense advice from Cuzzin' Brucie (that w/b Blue Bear Sound to you ;))of "keepin' it real" during tracking; or insuring and capturing the best possible perf when recording.

Peace

Back