Are shock mounts supposed to allow the microphone to turn?

DarrenVocal

Hello there again, people of HR. I have received my shockmount and secured my AT2020 into it. The only one problem to me is that the microphone is able to be turned 360 degrees as many time as you want. Is this normal?

There should be a little washer on the bottom of the stands thread. Turn that untill it is flush with the mic clip and it should no longer be able to turn.

When I twist that washer, the microphone spins with it, and I can't seem to detach the microphone from it, oh my.

Is the microphone screwed into the shock?

Hold the washer/lock at the bottom and turn the microphone anti-clockwise to unscrew it. You might need to give it a bit of a pull as you unscrew. Hopefully you haven't killed the thread on it.

Is it loose? Wobbling around? If not I wouldn't worry. I have a mic and lock/shockmount I can position anyway I want by turning the mic.

I just mounted my AT2020 in the SP01 I have. Yes indeed it will turn, is just slightly loose, and maybe could rattle a bit. Out of a piece of rubber or cork, cut a circle slightly larger than the mics base and then a hole in the center to put the mic screw part through. This will take up the slop and shim so it's tight.

Ah okay, finally a good answer, thanks a bunch arcaxis.

Not all shock mounts are created equal. Mine is too thick at the bottom to allow me to screw up into the base of the mic. so I either have to butcher the mount, find another option or not use it.
I did do my research but there were no shockies specifically made for the mic I want to mount - sad but true. I'll live!

It looks like that the elastic suspension is not designed for the mic. you are using it with.

The mic. should be able to be screwed tight and not wobble or turn, or you will be adding t the dandling noise and not reducing it.

Personally I would get rid and use a Rycote USM (or USM-L) which is very much better.

Alternatively - if you *have* to keep the mount and it *is* the correct thread (though this is a bit doubtful as you have had difficulty unscrewing it), is to add a card or fabric washer so the mic. can be screwed tight.

The SP-01 is designed and built by and for Samson mics, not Audio Technica's. The SP-01 is a popular inexpensive alternative for other non-Samson mics that come close to fitting such as the AT2020. Surprisingly the same thread as Samson mics. It does work quite well on the mics I've used it with.
If you can steer me to a vendor that can sell the Rycote for less than 24 bucks I'll gladly pick one up. :D

Samson SP01 Shock Mount SASP01

Rycote InVision USM-VB Universal Microphone Shock-Mount 044912

You get what you pay for - the Rycote is incredibly cheap compared to the top-end Neumann and similar shockmounts and is actually better.

If you go really downmarket and buy something extremely cheap - then don't expect it to perform like a better unit on a mic. that it was not designed for.

But, I did suggest the cheap fix for you in my earlier post.

You get what you pay for - the Rycote is incredibly cheap compared to the top-end Neumann and similar shockmounts and is actually better.

If you go really downmarket and buy something extremely cheap - then don't expect it to perform like a better unit on a mic. that it was not designed for.

But, I did suggest the cheap fix for you in my earlier post.

Right on! Thanks a bunch!

More than often "home recording" equates to "recording on a budget".

To me "home recording" means recording because you love doing it. It does not necessarily mean "recording on a budget", but does normally mean wanting to spend money wisely.

To me "home recording" means recording because you love doing it.
It came as something of a revelation when I joined HR to discover that there are some professionals that operate from home in the audio world. But in broad terms, that definition is certainly what it means to me.

Back