Are real drummers "extinct?"

I would argue, "perhaps?"

I'm not saying yes?

I'm not saying no....

But I can write songs? Good songs? And I'm not sure they need "a drummer?"

Nothing against drummers? I am actually in awe of their physical talent and ability... But like the Typewriter? Have they become obsolete?

They're still nibbling at the tops of trees? Like big Paleo-Dinosares? However, as the long neck dino's went existent? I believe drummers (except for live drummers)

Will go the way of the typewriter repair man... Once useful? But now no longer so...

This doesn't belong in the MP3 Clinic. I moved it to the drum section.

Let the games begin....

Look - I'm not even a drummer and the whole idea is silly and a little insulting, and I will never understand this line of thinking. There is simply no comparison to anything you are gonna come up with versus a great drummer on a great kit in a great room. Night and day. Not even close. Hell, if you really buy into that line of thinking you could just replace drums in your statement with any other instrument.

It's weird- guitar modellers do exist but if anyone posted about guitars being obsolete, most here would have a coronary. I think drums are harder to play, master, get right etc.

We love drummers! There is NOTHING on the market that comes even close to the real thing.

You could say that about everything....but people use all kinds of sims and samples day in and day out in music production, and have been for quite some time....so it's a bit late to start thinking like an absolute purist.
I bet 99.9% of the guys here use some form if sim or sample every time they work on some music....heck, most of digital audio is based on "sims".

I'm certainly the last person to knock "the real thing", and it's always the preferred option...but it's about using all the tools...a means to an end.

To tell the truth...I'm not even sure what the OP is asking/saying...?

How does writing good songs = a drummer not needed....?....unless they are songs that just don't have drums in the production?
Are you talking about not needing *drums* or not needing a real drummer because he's been replaced with sampled/sequenced drums...???

I would argue, "perhaps?"

I'm not saying yes?

I'm not saying no....

Nothing against drummers? I am actually in awe of their physical talent and ability... But like the Typewriter? Have they become obsolete?

They're still nibbling at the tops of trees? Like big Paleo-Dinosares? However, as the long neck dino's went existent? I believe drummers (except for live drummers)

Will go the way of the typewriter repair man... Once useful? But now no longer so...

I'm just going to make one comment, and then give a personal opinion. Just two lines, simple and clear....

You come across as a total prick, and I don't like your attitude. Oops, I put personal opinion in there. Sorry..

You should just leave this site, if you don't wish to learn from those that have years of experience, that 'at one time' were willing to help you.

Look forward to NOT hearing from you anytime soon. $#@*(&*&

:)

Are you talking about not needing *drums* or not needing a real drummer because he's been replaced with sampled/sequenced drums...???

Look - I'm not even a drummer and the whole idea is silly and a little insulting
I don't think it is insulting. It's actually a valid question. Look at the EZ drummer thread. It's run to 5 pages. That alone tells you that drummers are becoming more obsolete ~ as are other instrumentalists generally. Some genres of music have almost dispensed with the need for instrumentalists at all. In some fields, programmers rule the roost. And in the case of home recording, it's the logical conclusion, I'm afraid. Fred who wants to just get some songs down knows that they don't have to find a drummer in order for this to happen. The advent of the one person operation has paved the way to instrumentalists becoming less needed and software developers have catered to the gap in that market.
So the question itself isn't dumb.
My feeling, however, is that the advent as such, is tragic. I say that as a lover of drums. I'm not a lover of drum machines, but I love drums.
great drummer on a great kit in a great room.
I don't particularly know what a great room sounds like and the kit I have at home would possibly be laughed out of town by many of the percussion cognoscenti, but I don't care. Whether it's a shit kit or top of the range is neither here nor there to me. I don't think I've ever heard a kit and said "ahh, that is a great set of drums". They pretty much sound to me like.......drums !
I remember encouraging my mate to get into percussion, so much so, he's more known as a percussionist now. And even though I use percussion in lots of my stuff, I wouldn't be happy to just use percussion without the drums. To be honest, if I had absolutely no access to drummers, I'd chuck in writing and recording because most of what I write has drums configured somewhere, even though they're not going the whole time.

I'd reply with quote grim, but it would be way to long. lol

Every user of a drum program, is attempting to sound like a 'real' drummer. A good one, of course.

I can't even make drum software sound like a real drummer, and I am one, well, I pretend to be most of the time.

My point in my statement, is that the proposition that drummers can't write songs, are past relevant as typewriters, is downright insulting, and otherwise a judgmental statement given in angst towards members here, who try to help any site member, who doesn't lack in the ability to listen.

No help is going to come from me, to a member who is going to disrespect.....

I may have taken the post a bit personally. Maybe I am the dick.....

I don't think it is insulting. It's actually a valid question.

I think it's a silly question. You are a deep thinker, and are looking at one aspect of what I posted - the word 'great'. I've heard just as much fantastic music recorded on a shitty kit, in a shitty room by a shitty drummer. Please don't focus on the fact that I used the word great. Please don't tilt at windmills and defend an indefensible position that you know to be untrue. You and I don't work on EDM or top 40 pop music. Drummers are as relevant today as they were when the first hominid stretched a skin over a hollow log and hit it with a bone.

I know that the original post was a directed insult at another member. You know the post was a directed insult at another member.

My point in my statement, is that the proposition that drummers can't write songs, are past relevant as typewriters, is downright insulting,
I thought what Robbie was saying was that he feels he writes good songs and doesn't need a drummer in order to record them. So to him, a drummer might well be a bit like a typewriter. Rather, I suppose, the way string sections in rock and pop were shunted aside, firstly by mellotrons, then by synthesizers and string machines and now VSTis. It didn't mean they disappeared totally. But they did get used a whole lot less.
There are still people that use typewriters but first word processors, then keyboards meant that they weren't used anywhere near as much.
Every user of a drum program, is attempting to sound like a 'real' drummer. A good one, of course.
I think that's the thrust behind the point that Robbie was making. Someone who is using a programme may be trying to sound like a real drummer but in many of those cases, a real life drummer and drum kit is no longer de rigeur to making their music. Personally, I think that not only is that tragic, it may come to bite future generations. Kind of like how, because analog machines are getting less and less, those that maintain and repair them are likewise and soon.......
Of course, one could argue that the drum kit is barely 120 or so years old and is approaching the beginning of it's end in terms of dominance.
I hope in my lifetime there will continue to be people that take up and play the drums. But the moves that began in the 70s with the creation of the drum machine set in motion an inevitable decline in drumming because for alot of people, the machine or software offers easy portability, cheapness, utter obedience and flawless timing.
Personally, give me drums ! I'm a bit like that with the double bass. I tried a number of VSTis but after 8 years I had to just go and buy one again because nothing did for me like the real thing. They hurt to play, but it's the sound I'm after !
It can be seen as a sad thing but when technology offers people a way to get done easier what was previously difficult, some people will take that option. And like Robbie, they'll feel the 'old' is no longer necessary, more's the pity.

'Thrust' or not, disrespectful in presentation. I stand, feeling insulted by a member that is projecting his Mal-anger at someone other than me. And I feel that is not appropriate for this forum.

And, by the way, I am not wearing underwear. lol! Don't take this all so seriously. I don't.

:)

I know that the original post was a directed insult at another member. You know the post was a directed insult at another member.
You credit me with too much insight. I didn't know that at all. I still don't. I'm not aware of any Greg / Robbie warfare.

I think it's a silly question. You are a deep thinker, and are looking at one aspect of what I posted - the word 'great'. I've heard just as much fantastic music recorded on a shitty kit, in a shitty room by a shitty drummer. Please don't focus on the fact that I used the word great.
Woah, easy there, Montana.
I made the same point you make in this quote. I was speaking personally, to say that I love drums and that's what I use and that whether the drums are great and in a great room or crummy in a crummy room, they sound to me like drums. There's nowhere that I disagreed about actual drums being the way to go for me.
Please don't tilt at windmills and defend an indefensible position that you know to be untrue.
However, I do not see Robbie's point as 'undefendable' and it's hardly untrue. Just look on this site. EZ drummer, Steven Slate drums and others come up all the time. How often have you read people talking about sample replacement as a standard part of their drum recording ? I'm not defending Robbie's point ~ a certain segment of HR.com's membership unwittingly already does that. 8 of the threads on the drum forum leader page are connected with not real drums and 19 of the threads on the page haven't had activity for weeks.
You and I don't work on top 40 pop music. Drummers are as relevant today as they were when the first hominid stretched a skin over a hollow log and hit it with a bone.
Interesting you should bring up the top 40. Last week, I was listening to this ad for this album of hits over the last few months and I was struck by how none of the 6 or 7 tracks they played featured real drums {or for that matter, guitars}. Hard to tell on our telly but I'm not sure there was any real bass either. But your point is currently in error. Drummers are not necessarilly as relevant today as in stoneage times or the 60s and 70s. Percussive drum type sounds are. And they are not always played. They are often programmed.
But this isn't a drummer thing. I think it applies to a number of instrumentalists and instruments. I wish it wasn't so. I think you may well find that a higher number of people than you want think drummers are not anywhere near as important as they used to be and loads simply don't care.

No help is going to come from me, to a member who is going to disrespect.....

I may have taken the post a bit personally. Maybe I am the dick.....

I have previously noticed Robby going around the MP3 clinic describing everyone's work as shit. I wrote him a response explaining that he was being a dick, but he didn't respond. Maybe he's menstruating again.

Back