Are my maths right with kps in Streaming Audio?

radiogold

I have just created some audio files in wav format in Sound Forge. Now I have encoded them into Windows Media Format. The wma files were converted into a bitrate of 32 kbps, 22 kHz, stereo. If the bitrate is 32 kbps, this would mean 32,000 bits per second. Because I'm doing it in stereo, does this mean that the media would be playing at 64,000 bits per second, threw the modem? This would be 64K of data going threw a 56K Modem.

I have no idea on how 56k users are receiving my programs, As I use 256k broadband. The audio in question is at the following link.

http://www.2prfm.com/on-air/backtrax-1977.wma

I'm hoping that I'm wrong, and that it means 2 X 16kbps. If this is the case, then I've got no problem, as my listeners bandwith would not be at the maximum data transfer capacity.

Thanks

Mark

You're confusing baud rate (which is the speed at which network packets travel) and bit-rate (which is how dense the bitstream is in compressed formats - ie the compression rate of how many bits per second get decompressed).... they have nothing to do with each other.

32kbps/22Khz is a very low-quality soundfile - worse than AM radio in terms of fidelity (and that isn't saying much!)

The minimum for listenable sound quality is 128 kbps/44.1Khz.... and even then there are artifacts.

Last edited:
If you need to know if it will "fit through the pipe" for any particular compression scheme and stream: DO THE MATH!

You have a file of a certain size in Kbytes. Multiply by 8 to get kbits. Then divide by the number of seconds in the audio file. It should give you the number of bits you need to stream per second to make it work.

For example: my comp CD submission is 122 seconds long and when encoded as .wma (32Kbps/22KHz) the file size is 492kBytes, or 3936 kbits. Dividing that by 122 gives 32.26 kbits/sec, which should easily stream on any 56K modem.

Back