Are Expensive Mic´s Expensive To Manufacture?

I'll approach this subject from a slightly different, non-technical angle.

*I've always believed the major component, by a very loooooooooooong way, in a good recording is the actual musical performance itself*....... everything else is secondary to that.

Last edited:
we can only hope that the performance is great, then it's only the remaining 10% is what we're trying to maximize. :)

Guitar Jim said:
I'll approach this subject from a slightly different, non-technical angle.

*I've always believed the major componet, by a very loooooooooooong way, in a good recording is the actual musical performance itself*....... everything else is secondary to that.
Right on... I'll second that with a big AMEN. :)

Just to promote some conversation: So on two takes of the same piece do you run with the
a) excellent performance recorded poorly (muddy sound, noisy etc.); OR
b) the subpar performance recorded perfectly (clear, pristine sound where the instruments jump out at you) ?

These are all elements of the same puzzle and just like a poor performance can't be recovered by brilliant recording & mixing techniques, an excellent performance can be rendered unlistenable by poor recording methods.

You'd run with neither A nor B..... both are bad ways to go.
My experience from over 3 & 1/2 decades of music making has shown me that some folks expect technology to provide answers that normally are best provided by the human heart and soul.
*Any musician should always use the best equipment that he/she can afford*, but the equipment itself is not the goal..... the goal is the *music*; and for most folks that takes many,many long hard years of practice, perseverance and dedication to reach that goal of being able to compose, write, sing and play truly great music.
Buying a $10,000 mic or a $20,000 guitar or owning a million dollar recording studio won't make a player successful or famous. Yes, good equipment is part of the equation, but just a part, that's all. If you've got that $10,000 for a top class mic you can go out and get it tomorrow........ but that $10,000 won't buy you talent,ability, perseverance and the necessary thick skin to survive in the music biz.
Also, I guess many folks are hobbyists who enjoy discussing mics, computers, recorders and all the other various things that are acquired along the way. I suspect most of them realise that getting the best Neuman mic isn't going to transform their music , but they're still happy to spend the money so good luck to 'em I say. Some people buy the best motorbikes, some people buy the best paintings, some people buy the best clothes and other people buy the best mics. That's life.
Sorry folks, I think maybe I've hijacked this thread a bit. Maybe we should get back to discussing the technicalities of mic construction etc.

Not at all Jim. You raised a very valuable point... that the creative business of music has been (perhaps, somewhat, maybe) hijacked by gear pimps. I look at all of the web sites that sell gear, all of the manufacturers, and it is clearly a HUGE industry that got that way by selling to a million garage bands and wannabe rap artists. We get so caught up in bits and KHz and success that we fail to focus on talent.

For several years we lived next to Weston Park in Hemet which, among other anemities, featured a stage for live performances. We were forced to listen, year after year, to the most godawful caterwailing as wannabe band after wannabe band belted it out. I can remember exactly TWO performances that I enjoyed. But you can just bet that each band up there dropped a bundle on gear.

In all the time I have spent on this board the vast majority has been spent slogging through hype and trying to figure out where funds should go. I honestly think that I know enough now to make a solid decision that I won't regret but it has been tough!

I doubt Cloneboy Studio opposes the direction turn this thread is taking... at least I hope not. IMHO, the magic happens when we can feel the energy, emotion, and etc in the recording... It's all about the Artist. ... producers, engineers, studio, gear, etc... are all second.

Royer mod...

...If David Royer can do a pretty simple mod to a budget mic (that most people don't like to begin with) by duplicating the circuits in a vintage (and very costly) mic then why wouldn't the manufacturers of the budget mics just build to those specs in the first place, to create a world class mic for pennies on the dollar?...

Link to the Mojave Mic Mod kits/reviews:
http://www.mojaveaudio.com/press.html

Last edited:
kidvybes said:
...If David Royer can do a pretty simple mod to a budget mic (that most people don't like to begin with) by duplicating the circuits in a vintage (and very costly mic, then why wouldn't the manufacturers of the budget mics just build to those specs in the first place, to create a world class mic for pennies on the dollar?...

Not sure what you mean by pennies--the MXL price point isn't going to allow use of Jensen transformers. If they wanted to build a higher-end tube mic, it would end up priced like an AT4060 :confused:

kidvybes said:
...If David Royer can do a pretty simple mod to a budget mic (that most people don't like to begin with) by duplicating the circuits in a vintage (and very costly mic, then why wouldn't the manufacturers of the budget mics just build to those specs in the first place, to create a world class mic for pennies on the dollar?...

Link to the Mojave Mic Mod kits/reviews:
http://www.mojaveaudio.com/press.html

From Mojave's site -

Is Mojave Audio going to do anything besides kits?

Yes, we’re releasing a new tube condenser microphone in May 2005 called the MA-200. Other products will be released when they’re ready - we’re in no rush to release a load of gear. At some point in the future, Mojave may move away from kits and provide pro audio gear through a network of dealers.

Back