Are Cassette recorders obsolete?

BassBalls

I used to have an old 4 track cassete unit, but I got rid of it because it never stayed in tune. Are the new ones better. Should I go digital. How much will it cost.

BassBalls

Hey there BassBalls: I've got a TASCAM or two and they seem to have very reproducible speed control relative to consumer cassette decks.
But yes- Go digital. Even the minidisc environment sounds better and if you squeeze a little harder on your requirements you can even get an uncompressed HD recorder like the Fostex stuff for about the same dough.

Hi there,

I use a Tascam 424mkII four track. I got it almost new for about 400$ I am really happy with it. Once you've used it enough you can get rid of almost all the tape hiss without your music suffering. Also, if you have a PC with just a normal cheapo soundcard you can record your original tracks on your four track. Then mix down to your hard disk so you can edit your music using shareware such as goldwave. It is surprising how good you can make stuff sound with this shareware.

It all depends on what you want. If you want an example of what kind of sound you can get with a four track go to the MP3 forum and download the song that is Tucci's "first ever using distortion". I was such a newbie when I recorded that song I didn't even have noise reduction turned on. The mike was real cheap too and I didn't do a very good job of mixing down but the hiss is not very noticeable despite these facts. The sound quality isn't too awful bad either even though I didn't know what I was doing.

Have fun

Tucci

Yo Balls of Bass:

I do believe I just saw an ad for a Tascam tape-based digital recorder, eight tracks, for a list price of 3000.00 plus; so, I surmise that tape isn't dead yet. The box mentioned uses a special type of tape cassette to optimize the digital processing. Soooo, I would guess that tape is here for a while. I still mix down to tape from an MD-8; yeah, it's not as good as DAT probably, but, at the moment it works for me. Better stuff is always there and if one tries to keep up with the lastest stuff, one will be living in an abode filled with carboard boxes and black boxes and green boxes and boxes that play 22 keyboards in concert with a theramin.

Green Hornet

Back