Are Blue microphones really that good?

AlecBeretz

I haven't used blue microphones too extensively, and I know they're GOOD, but many people seem to think they are the best mic's out there. When I use/hear them, it just seems like they have a lot of treble that makes them kind of shimmer, and people interpret that to be "good" cause the increased air/consonants makes it have "clarity"

but, are blue mics just a trend? or are they really all they're cracked up to be?

second/related question:
and I've used 300 dollar mic's that sound AMAZING. why bother dropping a few grand on the huge tube capsule mic? is the extra money REALLY worth it? or is it kind of like buying a sports car, where its fun but kind of unnecessary

Lets take vocals: you could probably record all of them with an SM58 for an album and 90% of your audience would have NO clue.

In regards to Blue, they make outstanding mics. However each mic has it's own place and purpose. The situation and techniques you use a mic in will ultimately determine it's "worth" to you. Not to mention what you hear as "good" or "bad". The sound of Blue mics may not appeal to you. I personally don't care one bit for the Neumann KMS105------------go figure. Rest assure of one thing, Blue mics are not a fad, they are the real deal.

Why invest in high dollar mics? Because your work/clients demand it. If you achieve the sound you're after with an SM58, then you need go no further. Many studios don't see the SM58 (or similar) mics as "serious" recording tools. If you ever get the chance to listen to some of the Earthworks products, you'll hear the difference. And even though you are probably correct on what a majority of the audience hears, a more discerning listener/singer knows the difference. At the upmost levels where microphone budget limits don't really exist, having the very best mics isn't quite the issue it is for you or me. There are less expensive mics that sound incredible. I'm not aware however of too many reasonably priced (whatever that is to you) mics that would be compared to a Schoeps.

In regards to Blue, they make outstanding mics. However each mic has it's own place and purpose. The situation and techniques you use a mic in will ultimately determine it's "worth" to you. Not to mention what you hear as "good" or "bad". The sound of Blue mics may not appeal to you. I personally don't care one bit for the Neumann KMS105------------go figure. Rest assure of one thing, Blue mics are not a fad, they are the real deal.

Why invest in high dollar mics? Because your work/clients demand it. If you achieve the sound you're after with an SM58, then you need go no further. Many studios don't see the SM58 (or similar) mics as "serious" recording tools. If you ever get the chance to listen to some of the Earthworks products, you'll hear the difference. And even though you are probably correct on what a majority of the audience hears, a more discerning listener/singer knows the difference. At the upmost levels where microphone budget limits don't really exist, having the very best mics isn't quite the issue it is for you or me. There are less expensive mics that sound incredible. I'm not aware however of too many reasonably priced (whatever that is to you) mics that would be compared to a Schoeps.
X2!!!
Also,I have the Blue 'Dragonfly' mic and I can asure you that it is a top quality product with top quality sound to go with it and no $100 - 400 mic is going to come close to it's sonic capabilities.

And to address the original question: Blue mics have a vibe all their own. Just depends on whether you like that vibe. Most people do. And yes, they are worth the money.

I've never used a Blue mic, and I kinda feel like the OP. I have my doubts, but I think it's just because Blue isn't as established as something like Neumann. I try to give them a chance, but I just feel really dubious when I see that $6,000 price tag on the Blue Bottle...

Back