Are Acid CD Royalty Free...?

Devilfire

if you were to create an entire album using acid loops would you have to pay royalty to sonic foundry or anyone else....?

those loops cds arent cheap man......

Interesting question...can we take it a little further?

I too have been curious regarding the usage of Acid loops. I know the loops are royalty free, but how does that relate to copyrighting a song or CD, recording credits, etc? (This may be more of an ethical consideration than a legal one.)

A brief elaboration: I use Acid to create scratch tracks to take into the studio for bandmates and/or hired session players. I create complete songs with full instrumentation (my genre is blues, so for me this is primarily drums, bass, guitar...with vocals, harmonica and keyboards recorded by me). The intent being to give the basic feel and style of the song, but allowing the guitarist, drummer, etc., to lay down his/her own riffs.

In the event that I preferred some, or all, of the Acid loops on a particular song, what are the legal ramifications of copyrighting, publishing, and selling it as "my" song?

Even if I could do this legally, I would have considerable ethical problems with doing such a thing. Who would I credit with the appropriate instrumental parts? Although I may be the "composer/arranger", it was guitarist, or bassist, "X" who originally recorded the loops for Sony/Sonic Foundry. What if I created an entire "one man" CD? Who would or should get credit?

And what of the consumer? (This is for discussion's sake...I'm not flattering the commercial appeal of my music!) Don't they have a right to know that the CD they're buying was largely created from loops?

As the quality of recording gear and software increases, and the price drops, more and more people have the capability of recording their own music without having to resort to the expense of studios and other musicians.

Food for thought,

Steve (Cyanatic)

Once you purchase the loops, they are yours.

You don't have to list credits for the "sample creators". They were compenstated when they recorded the samples for the company.

You, in turn, compensated the company when you bought the sample CD.

spin

Well, you're definitely standing on firm legal ground when using Acid loops, but that doesn't mean you're standing on very cool ground. ;)

Those things have been USED TO DEATH - on everything from lame pop tunes, to corporate training videos, to cheap radio spots. Occasionally I'll use a canned beat as a placeholder while trying to work out a melody, bass line, or some other such thing. But I ALWAYS go back and replace it with my own beat. Even if it's just a matter of using the basic framework, but replacing the sounds, you have to get away from those ubiquitous canned beats! :D

Thomas

-------------------------
Barefoot Sound LLC.
Recording Monitors
San Francisco

SPINSTERWUN said:
You don't have to list credits for the "sample creators". They were compenstated when they recorded the samples for the company.
In fact, according to the ACID loop license agreement, you are not allowed to credit them, or otherwise mention them in any way. I am guessing that they don't want their names associated with music they haven't heard and may not want to endorse.

BTW, this is my first post, so hello everyone.

Hip-hop artists have been using sampled beats for years. In fact, there would be no such thing as hip-hop without a reliance on someone else's musicianship.

Back