Archos JukeBox Recorder 15

rdozz

This unit is in prefect condition and has a 20 gig hard drive. I uses USB 2.0 to transfer data. You can also record line in and the Archos encodes the music/speech into MP3. see link for more data. I got a I-pod for Christmas so this thing is sort of redundant. -$75.00 + shipping

clip from a web site follows:

The Archos Jukebox MP3 Recorder is quite a package. This handheld MP3 player doubles as a portable 20-gigabyte hard drive which lets you record directly from any audio source, using the stereo line-in jack. It will also work as a standalone, high-quality voice recorder.

The built-in 20GB Fujitsu hard disk means the Archos can hold 6,000 minutes of CD-quality music, which is more than 100 CD's! It lists for $349 and I have seen it selling for as low as $300. (You can get the Jukebox 6000, without recording capabilities, for about $100 less.) This tightly-packed hardware also means the Archos weighs more than most conventional players.

The unit is easy to set up and use. That's a good thing, because the included manual with its garbled English isn't much help. After the software is installed, connect the Archos to your computer via the included USB cable, and it will appear as an additional drive. You can simply drag MP3 or other files into the Archos, or use the included MusicMatch Jukebox software. Both PC and Mac versions of this excellent software are provided.

Since it's a hard drive, you can use the Archos to store any type of data file. This is handy for transferring large files from one computer to another.

When it isn't attached to a computer, the Archos works like any portable MP3 player. Sound quality is excellent; the unit has a built-in EQ for controlling bass, treble, loudness, and bass boost. With an internal 2MB buffer, it's virtually impossible to make the Archos skip during playback.

A nice touch is the inclusion of a second set of batteries. Changing the batteries is not particularly easy, though.

How well does the recorder work? The built-in microphone is intended for voice recording only. I took the unit to a concert and attempted to use its built-in mic to record the performance. While the quality isn't too bad, you wouldn't want to make a CD from it. I would love to see Archos add an input for an external stereo microphone; this would make it perfect for recording live bands. Of course, bands can patch the unit's line-in connector to their soundboard and record that way.

In short, the Archos Jukebox Recorder isn't the cheapest portable MP3 unit on the market, but its features make it a very good buy.

Back