Archiving with a burner

Seanmorse79

Does anybody know of a decent backup/archive program that allow you to span CD's? I have some projects that are well above 650mb, and I want to get them off my system.

As long as I'm at it, what do you guys do when your projects get too big for a CD?

Look for File Fission.

But unless you've got a 24/96 stereo track that's >22 minutes most "projects" can be organized as a group of .wav files and project files (.veg and .acd for Vegas and Acid respectively) and then be spread over as many CDRs as are required.

I'm hoping to archive the whole project (Nuendo). I'm recording 24/48, but when you've got a whole mess of tracks (including the original "untouched" tracks I like to keep :rolleyes: ), things get pretty big. I know, I'm a packrat - I just like to be safe. Plus my new system has a 40x burner in it, so I'd like to make good use of it :D

I will check out File Fission. Thanks :)

File Fission appears to be a large file splitter - now I see what you were talking about about the 22 minute wav :)

I've got all my files for each project tucked into it's own folder - 1 folder, 1 song (project). I'm looking for an app that will backup the contents of a folder or group of folders, spanning CD's. I guess it would have to be a burner app.

Easy CD Creator used to bundle an app like this with their Platinum version, but they discontinued it when Roxio took over.

Right now, I have to create separate Easy CD Creator projects for each group of files within each folder, which sucks. I guess I'm just looking for the lazy man's way out :)

Damn, you ARE a lazy bastard! :D

Just kidding.

In Windows Explorer if you are looking at a pane with the files in an open folder you simply select one, hold down the shift key and use the down arrow to add files until you get a CDs worth. Windows keeps a running tab of the total size of the selected files. Copy them to a new folder (Disc n, project X) and repeat until you've got a bunch of CD sized folders. Then doing the archive burn in Roxio is a simple drag, drop and burn operation.

"Right now, I have to create separate Easy CD Creator projects for each group of files within each folder"

Not sure I quite know what you mean.

This is not any easier way, but the way I handle projects that are over 700MB.

Burn the main important folders "edits", "images" and as many of the wav files out of the "audio" folder onto one CD. (using the shift key as Doc suggested to select multiple files, noting where you left off for burning the remaining files to the next disk)

Burn the remaining wav files onto another disk.

Maybe that's what your doing, sounded more complicated to me, maybe not though.

I don't think there is an easier way. And if there were I probably wouldn't trust it anyway.

When you look at as organized:

-The image files in the image folder, graphics of the wav files, edits in edit folder.
-The *.npr file which is your latest mix settings/revision (and where the wav's are located in the project along the timeline, very critical)
-The wav files themselves.

So, as long as you keep the folder structure intact, your fine. (for rebuilding the project, do the restore in reverse)

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Damn, you ARE a lazy bastard! :)
...damn straight :D

Emeric, that's pretty much how I'm doing it now, but for the last project, I had to create 3 wav folders and 1 for the balance to keep the folder tree intact - 4 CD's total. I probably could have done it in three, but ...like I said ...I'm lazy :)

...I just remember the good ol' days o' PKzip. I could backup my massive 20 meg hard drive onto a box full of floppies in a half a day :D ...just figured there might be an easier way nowadays with 650mb media.

Back