Applying efx and editing

DuttyBoe

I use cakewalk 9.0 .... I mostly edit non-destructive(using the envelope) but when I apply EFX to my audio it removes all the volume and pan envelopes I PREVIOUSLY created.

Also, I work pretty much with 4 and 8 bar clips(loops) I copy and paste the clips out numerous amount of times then perform edits;but the edit also appears on every related copied clip resulting in a chain reaction. How do I edit related (copied) clips INDEPENTLY of one another.

I use cakewalk 9.0 .... I mostly edit non-destructive(using the envelope) but when I

I use cakewalk 9.0 .... I mostly edit non-destructive(using the envelope) but when I apply EFX to my audio it removes all the volume and pan envelopes I PREVIOUSLY created.

I'm not sure about this one, but here's what I think is happening. Apparently you are applying your FX in the audio view (the wave form). This is a destructive application of FX. When you "apply" the effect, the wave itself is processed to incorporate the effect. My guess is that you are also "applying" your volume and pan envelopes at the same time (i.e., they are now part of the wave itself). You should be able to tell this by listening to the track. Does the volume still increase (decrease) where you had the envelope changes applied?

My suggestion is to apply the FX non-destructively. You can do this by patching the effect in using either the Track View (double click in the effect column, and right click on the window that pops up), or the Console View (right click in the area just below the track name).

This approach is more processor intensive than destructive applications, but it will maintain your envelopes intact and will also allow you to remove or change the effect later on.

thanks for correcting me

What I was actually trying to say was when I add volume and pan envelopes to my audio from the audio view everything stays in place(the envelopes). But when I add an Efx to the audio wave it deletes the envelopes I created. When I process the efx first and then apply the volume/pan envelopes everything stays in place. This function wouldnt be benefical to me because I use the volume/pan envelope to edit all audio, then I apply efx (only if needed).

So my question "Is there a way to use pan/volume envelopes followed by efx processing.

As I said, the envelopes get included in the processing when you process the audio track by applying FX. That's why if you process the FX first the envolopes stay (because you've already processed the track). Per my prior message, I don't think your envelopes are being "deleted", they are being "applied" to the track.

Solution... use non-destructive FX in track or console view, or continue to apply the FX first.

Back