Apple? Yeah, right. LOL

ap

I generally feel like the whole PC vs Mac thing is silly. To each his own. If you really like the Mac that much, go ahead, spend the extra money. BUT, DON'T PULL ALL THAT "SPEED DOESN'T COUNT" BULLSHIT!

I'll let the following quote from the sonik bbs by someone who knows more than me explain. If you know more than him and can prove something, or show unbiased proof, go ahead.

"
Quoted from a previous post titled: Apple / Emagic Info Links

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxed out Power Mac Dual Cpu w/ Dual Scsi Drives ultra160 and 1.5gb ram. Super Drive DVD-R/CD RW.
Summary
• 1GHz - DP PowerPC G4(Dual CPU)
• 1.5GB SDRAM - 3 DIMMs
• 2x72GB Ultra160 SCSI - Dual card
• Apple SuperDrive
• NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium
• Apple Cinema Display (22" flat panel)
• 56K internal modem
• Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
• Mac OS - U.S. English
Subtotal $8,548.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that's the biggest joke I have ever seen. $8000 for dual 1GHz. And at that price, you haven't even purchased an audio card and software to go with it!

Ive been watching this whole shabang go down here in the forums, with much interest. but im tired of seeing you do nothing but give the windows guys nothing but a hard time. Im a bi-platform user myself and love BOTH platforms. They are both great and offer many advantages on their own, but there are some simple cold facts about both platforms that NO one can argue. so now a little schooling session for our friend Mr Black on how you can really spend $8000 for a proper system for audio....

I've got time, do you? lets examine this a little closer:

quote:
• 1GHz - DP PowerPC G4(Dual CPU)

First off, there is no argument that the Intel processor is by far much faster than any Motorola based processor when it comes to the audio DSP tasks that are called for in applications like Logic, Nuendo Cubase, and many other audio processing applications. I work in the industry for a major software synthesis company and we do plenty of testing as well as my own testing, and the facts are in the tests, not in apple's marketing scams. i've spent numerous hours doing performance test with many different applications and plugins available for both platforms. and the bottom line is, both Mac, and PC based processors are equivalent. Par on Par. An 800MHz Mac is going to give you roughtly the same amount of plugin count, soft-synth polyphony, etc. as a Intel Pentium-III 800MHz PC. A Dual 1Ghz system is going to perform the same as a Dual 1GHz PC. if you think otherwise, then PROVE IT! Give me some figures some facts, and some statistics to prove otherwise. But don't come here ranting and raving and wasting bandwidth posting Mac prices and system . that's what www.apple.com/store is for.

So. Let's say a dual P4 1.8GHz system:
Cost for processor: $197.00 each ($394.00 total)
Supermicro P4DC6+ MB: $556.00

that just gave us a system that already outperforms the Mac in processor power, but also supports up to 16GB of RAM.

quote:
• 1.5GB RAMBUS - 3 DIMMs

$73.00 for a 512MB stick ($219.00 for 3 total)

quote:
• 2x72GB Ultra160 SCSI - Dual card

Who the hell needs Ultra160 SCSI? unless you plan on serving some database for a few thousand sales reps or plan on running an online shop with thousands of hits a minute, you can scrap the Ultra160. although granted the board i've chosen already has an onboard Adaptec RAID SCSI controller. Obviously your not up to date on the other side of hardware for audio systems. Programs like Nuendo and Cubase on the PC can easily handle upto 200 tracks of audio on a standard UltraDMA100 IDE based Hard Drive running at 7200 RPM. i've done the tests, Steinberg has done the tests, and many others have. Sure go ahead and spend your money, we'll play it smart and stick to IDE for this example. So, we'll beef things up a bit since we don't need to spend money on a SCSI card.

2x 120GB IBM IDE ATA100 7200RPM HD
$139 each ($278 total)
(NOTE: the recent issue of IBM GXP drive crashing is not a known problem with the larger sized drivese. this was prominently an issue with the 60GB and 75GB GXP drives)

quote:
• Apple SuperDrive

Forget a SuperDrive. if you want serious backup with the best cost per MB storage, then go for an Onstream Drive. www.onstream.com. Internal IDE based ADR tape cartridge with full drag-n-drop functionality. Acts just like an internal HD.

Internal Onstream IDE ADR60 Drive: $478.00
3-pack of 60GB Cartridges: $156.00

quote:
• NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium

We'll go for a Matrox G450 32MB AGP Dual-Head Display Card

$65.00

quote:
• Apple Cinema Display (22" flat panel)

they sure look pretty don't they! well that's fine. you keep looking pretty. we'll save our money and worry about what counts...getting the job done.

2 18.1" NEC 1850 (Black) Flat Panel Displays. (yes, 2 of them for a killer dual display setup)
$789 each ($1578.00 total)

take a look at:
http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/home/product.cfm?productid=188&cfid=439 6562&cftoken=5279802

quote:
• 56K internal modem

Why bother? we'll go ethernet to a DSL modem using the 10/100 Ethernet port built into the motherboard. Most people have DSL or cable now. if not, then go ahead and get a modem if needed.
Cost: $0

quote:
• Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English

sure why not! we'll go ahead and get a nice Apple Pro keyboard just for the fun of it. After all, they make you pay for all that nifty design work ey? So we'll go pick one up at the local Apple Store. And yes, you can use an Apple keyboard with a PC, I do! It's connected to a USB switch box that I use to switch between my PC laptop and my super blazing fast G4 450MHz system.
Cost: $60.00 at your local Apple Store
(seriously, I do like the apple pro keyboard)

quote:
• Mac OS - U.S. English

Well....something tells me we won't be needing that. So we'll pay Mr. Gates $199.00 for a full copy of Windows XP Home.

Now just a few things more we'll need to make a true audio system:

Logitech 2-button Optical Wheel Mouse: $19.00
4-space Black RackMount ATX PC Case: $200.00
400Watt PSU: $40-$50
Sony 52X DVD-Drive: $70.00
1.44MB Floppy Disk (for those times when you just want to play with DOS): $7.00
RME Hammefall DSP w/Multiface Audio Card: $1000
Copy of Cubase SX: $400-$500

So now we add in about a day's worth of time building and getting everything setup. Let's say a Saturday we'll do it since some of us might have a client to work with a remix project or something else to do that we can't afford to lose out on a day's worth of work. And for those of you who like to argue about the time factor (mr clif), the fact is, I rather spend the time now building the system and getting it done, which give me a much faster system. So that I spend LESS time afterwards having to constantly bounce shit down to disk and render stuff all the time because my Mac simply can't handle it. And we're talking this is a serious issue for the modern programmer, engineer, musician who wants to take the entire virutal route, which solely depends on the speed of the system.

Whooping grand total: $5774.00

Now. the choice is yours:

$8500+ for a Dual 1Ghz system with no audio hardware or software to go with it.

or

$5774.00 for a Dual 1.8GHz system with the same specs, faster CPU's, and an excellent high-quality 8I/O audio card with a full version of Cubase SX.

I have nothing further to say....

Did you bait me Mr. Black? Sure you did! But I enjoyed it to the very last minute. I even enjoyed pulling the bait hook out of my mouth.

yes, today I had a day off and lots of time on my hands. So I figured I'd spend a little extra time educating Mr Black on why it is that we choose PC, so that maybe he can finally shut the hell up. Mr. Black seems to have a lot of time on his hands after soo many posts I've read lately, so im sure he won't have any trouble finding the time to read this information and let it soak in (?), and just maybe...he'll find the time to build a PC and do the test and prove me wrong about just how fast a Mac is compared to a PC.

As a final word, what I don't think alot of people realize is that, many PC users WOULD use a Mac over a PC if they were just cheaper and more in line with the price for performance factor. In the audio world, as things become more and more native and virtual to the computer, the speed of the processor and how well it can perform is becoming more and more crucial to the scheme of things. And with the current recession, who has $8000 to spend on a system, when they can do it for almost $3000 cheaper and have a faster system, to get more work done in less time. The Mac OS is great, it's easier to use, less time with configuration and it's much more visually appealing. the Hardware looks great, easy to install upgrades, and is very stable, just like a well built PC.

But in the end....our wallets control us. If a 1GHz+ PowerMac G4 with PCI slots (not an iMac) cost what it's really worth ($800-$900), then I could almost guarantee you'd see MANY more people switch over, as Apple would like to see. But then you hav the whole software issues, and not everything being available on both platforms...whole different story...

anyways, in my opinion, until they make some dramatic changes to either their pricing scheme or processor speeds...i doubt things are going to change in the audio world, people are becoming more and more educated about what is REALLY up between the Mac and PC, and ain't no marketing team going to un-educate them or fool them on what is really up. With the new younger generation of musicians and artists already being computer savy at the start, it takes no time for them to learn how to setup a cheap PC to get the job done. Despite whether it's a hassle or not, the fact is....they spend less money...to get a working system...to get their job done....

[This post was made on a Mac]

"

Here's the link if you want to read the whole thread: http://community.sonikmatter.com/emagic/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=000477

I don't know who Mr. Black is but he sure pissed ya' off, didn't he?

Personally I have less than $1K in my Mac/ProTools setup. Yeah, it's by no means professional quality but then I'm no longer a professional musician. I have no illusions about where I'm at.;) How many people do you know that run ProTools with stability on a 7-year-old PC.:confused:

That said I can't understand why anyone would need so many plug-ins. What the hell are you doing with them? Using them because you can? That's why a dog licks his balls! :p

I'm really glad that PC hardware is so cheap right now because every generation of Macs becomes more like the PC's. Pretty smart move if you ask me. Let M$ and all their drones do the beta testing! I like Apples hardware, software and approach. I can sacrifice some raw benchmark speed for stability and compatability.

It's just like the old Chevy vs. Ford battle. Yeah you can go faster in a Chevy for less $ but that's OK because when your cheap-ass GM product breaks down my Ford will be along shortly to give you a ride to get some more cheap GM parts!:p:D

Nothing personal, dude. Sorry but I just had to vent after reading that novel.;)

I don't see why you keep saying Mac's are so freakin stable. I've been to quite a few college computer labs and graphic design studios and their were always machines down. I've lost count how many times I'd crash systems as well.

I work full time as a designer and PC have been nothing less than reliable to me. I run software like Rhino, Mechanical Desktop and 3D Studio MAX all day and RARELY run into system crashes, etc...

Speaking of software, one little detail that EVERYONE seems to forget is that the PC platform is the platform of Product Design/Engineering. You ever ask yourself why SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Inventor, Pro/E and CATIA are not available on the Mac?

Just for the record, I didn't write any of that "novel." It is confusing because the part I quoted basically starts with a quote.

I probably shouldn't have quoted the whole post. Only the first couple paragraphs are interesting really.

I don't see why you keep saying Mac's are so freakin stable. I've been to quite a few college computer labs and graphic design studios and their were always machines down. I've lost count how many times I'd crash systems as well.

Obviously these people don't know how to use the Mac. I haven't done a clean install of OS9 since I got this one almost 2 years ago. I can also count the number of times PT has crashed on one hand. If you know how to manage extensions & memory, use quality drivers and limit the amount of M$ garbage in your system they run just fine.

I work full time as a designer and PC have been nothing less than reliable to me. I run software like Rhino, Mechanical Desktop and 3D Studio MAX all day and RARELY run into system crashes, etc...

Thats good.:) You obviously know the PC much better.

Speaking of software, one little detail that EVERYONE seems to forget is that the PC platform is the platform of Product Design/Engineering. You ever ask yourself why SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Inventor, Pro/E and CATIA are not available on the Mac?

The only one of those apps I've heard of is AutoCAD. I'm not into drafting/design so I don't miss it. There are Mac apps that are comparable. The reason there aren't as many choices for the Mac, other than what you already stated, is that crap software doesn't survive long in the Mac market. Savvy Mac users don't tolerate poorly written apps.

I agree Apple has a nicer GUI. I can understand how some may say OSX is superior to Windows. And it's nice to buy a well setup system off the shelf, which arguably is not possible w/ pc daw's. Apple may even be more stable. I don't know, but my general feeling is that most mac users believe some myth about pc instability that I know from experience isn't true, although I did have to build it myself and go through considerable tweaking.

***Let's all just agree that there are good reasons why some may prefer mac to pc,

BUT, PLEASE FOCUS ON JUST ONE ISSUE:

Apple lies. ****

Funny how when a company misleads people in advertising, it's considered ok. It's understood that that's the way business works.

Apple tries very hard to confuse the issue about the way information is handled in a computer so as to make people think that a Mac of given Mhz speed is comparable to a PC of twice that speed. This is simply not true, with the possible exception of maybe a very limited number of apps.(none of which or audio/midi) in very limited settings.

That's funny M. Brane. I worked at Digidesign, and I crashed my work Macs (9600, 8500, and a G3 350) many times a day. I crashed Pro Tools *hundreds* of times during my tenure there too. Not that I'm saying Macs suck, but I just think it's funny that you say you can count the number of crashes on one hand. All I can say is you must not be trying very hard.

Everyone (even Mac users) know that the pre OS X Mac OSes are the most crash-prone OSes out there. Apple finally figured this out with OS X, and I'm glad. My G4 is finally as stable as a PC running XP or 2000.

That's funny M. Brane. I worked at Digidesign, and I crashed my work Macs (9600, 8500, and a G3 350) many times a day. I crashed Pro Tools *hundreds* of times during my tenure there too. Not that I'm saying Macs suck, but I just think it's funny that you say you can count the number of crashes on one hand. All I can say is you must not be trying very hard.

True, I don't try to crash my system.;)

With some of the hardware that Digi recommends it's amazing that some peoples combinations will actually boot up let alone run. :p

Everyone (even Mac users) know that the pre OS X Mac OSes are the most crash-prone OSes out there. Apple finally figured this out with OS X, and I'm glad. My G4 is finally as stable as a PC running XP or 2000.

Windows 98/ME more stable than OS9? If you say so..:rolleyes:

Unfortunately this "stability" (can you say kernal panic?:D ) comes at the price of simplicity and security. It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the near future. I would be playing with OSX on a G4 now but I didn't get any OT this winter.:(

When you hardcore comp geeks (no offense;) ) get it sorted out as good as OS9 is let me know.:D

Yeah, I'm one of those dedicated Mac heads.

Maybe that comes from watching my old man (who used to design computers and knows his stuff) and others have problem after problem with their PC's while my old Mac just keeps chugging along.

BTW I'm sure M$, Intel and AMD are always completely truthful in their advertising. :rolleyes:

If you believe that I've also got some real estate for sale.....

:D

The problem isn't just that apple lies, it's that mac users are accomplices.

PC users are skeptical, are quick to point out hype, and are highly critical. For instance, excepting the general populace, most people were well aware of the (initial?)limitations with P4 and the new type of ram.

It's frustating that mac users, out of some silly sense of pride or perhaps resentment of PC software ubiquitousness, seem to want to help apple blur the truth in a never ending battle to prove they have a better machine.

Whenever you ask for honest feedback on their machines' performance, you get a defensive attitude, and gushing comments on features you didn't even ask about. This thread is a good case in point.

I don't get the point of this thread. If applie "lies" in regards to its processor performance, then so does everybody else. You can't compare RISC and CISC processors in terms of cycles per second, it just doesn't make sense. If anybody "lies" about processor power it's Intel, as the P4 is a shit performer when judged soley on cycles. And hell, lets not forget about the K6, K6-2, and K6-3 processors! Holey smokes, that was some serious lying.

If we're all angry because a maxed out Apple system costs $8000, then I'll be happy to build you a maxed out PC system for $8000. That 22" flat wide screen display alone is many thousands of dollars. The guy who went through and tore that system up into a comparable PC could have just as easily tore it up into a lesser Mac, and probably would have come out well within 500 bucks in price. The same components are available on both platforms!

If you're building a "maxed out" machine, then you're going to use top of the line components. You're not going to buy $73 512MB RDRAM sticks. You're not going to buy two average displays instead of one perfect display. You're not going to do IDE RAID with some lame ass Promise controller. You're not going to cut corners with a Matrox video card. That defeats the purpose of "maxing out", don't you think? Are you just upset because it was a Mac and not a PC? I don't understand. If I was loaded and going to build a maxed out machine, I could spend MORE than $8000, no problem...and that would be for a PC too.

(on a minor grub, Windows XP Home is not $199, it's $99, and if you were "maxing out", you'd spend $199 for XP Professional which would actually be required, because we are talking about a dual processor machine)

I think the reason that Mac people get so upset is that they HAVE had better machines right from the start, yet they still get shafted because 80% of the software market is directed at the PC. The inferior product won due to superior marketing. But too bad so sad, that's life...it's time to move on. We're a Walmart world, and that's the way it goes.

Slackmaster 2000

I apologize. I've done a poor job with this thread from the start.
This is all I should have quoted. Please forget all the system building price crap:

First off, there is no argument that the Intel processor is by far much faster than any Motorola based processor when it comes to the audio DSP tasks that are called for in applications like Logic, Nuendo Cubase, and many other audio processing applications. I work in the industry for a major software synthesis company and we do plenty of testing as well as my own testing, and the facts are in the tests, not in apple's marketing scams. i've spent numerous hours doing performance test with many different applications and plugins available for both platforms. and the bottom line is, both Mac, and PC based processors are equivalent. Par on Par. An 800MHz Mac is going to give you roughtly the same amount of plugin count, soft-synth polyphony, etc. as a Intel Pentium-III 800MHz PC. A Dual 1Ghz system is going to perform the same as a Dual 1GHz PC. if you think otherwise, then PROVE IT! Give me some figures some facts, and some statistics to prove otherwise. But don't come here ranting and raving and wasting bandwidth posting Mac prices and system . that's what www.apple.com/store is for.

The point I'm trying to make is that saying a 400 mhz mac is as fast as a 800mhz P3 is a huge lie, or is it?

... and I don't want to hear about how stable or how nice OSX is.

I've quoted one person who seems competent, yet possibly has an anti-mac agenda. ***All I want is for more people reasonably equally knowledgeable to either challenge him or concede that what he says is correct.*** Not because I want to prove anyone wrong, but because I want to weigh the evidence and make an informed decision instead of just believing the first post I read.

I don't really keep up with these things and always thought there could have been some truth to what apple was saying. Now that I'm actually looking into it, it seems noone actually believes it, yet no mac user will give any straight answers.

quote:

The only one of those apps I've heard of is AutoCAD. I'm not into drafting/design so I don't miss it. There are Mac apps that are comparable.
If you think there are Mac apps that are comparable to Pro Engineer, CATIA, or Solidworks, you need to think again.

The point I'm trying to make is that saying a 400 mhz mac is as fast as a 800mhz P3 is a huge lie, or is it?
Probably so, in most cases.

Curious

I think I've posted something like this before: but why do people take personal computer platform choice so... well... personally? Why do people get so angry?

If someone posts a question: "Should I get a mac or a pc for home audio recording?" It's obviously a useless question, there really isn't a right or wrong answer. It's very akin to the following:

Should I buy a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla?
Should I get a side-by-side or over and under fridge?
Should I get a yellow lab or a chocolate lab?

While these threads are sort of entertaining, I'd rather read about how people use various plugs or how specific problems are overcome in computer-based recording environments.

Peace

By the by, how do you apply a filter to an audio object in Logic? They do it on the tutorial song.

Slack, I see your point, but not really.
Does that make sense?

I mean, I just bought a G4-933 in the base configuration (256 MB PC133 RAM, 60 GB Seagate HD, NVidia GeForce4 MX, Superdrive) for $1750. Now, I could easily have bought a P4 PC running at 2+ GHz with 1024 MB of RAM and 2 x 120 GB WD HDs, with the same GeForce 4 MX, for probably 500$ less. Throw in a firewire card and a Pioneer DVD writer, and I still have a cheaper system with a lot more power.

Note also that the only way I could get this system for $1750 was to buy it refurbished. Whether they're top-of the line components or not (and I happen to have opened the system, so I know that the hard drive in my G4 is one of the cheapest drives I can buy right now), I still think $2000 is far too much money for the middle of the line performer from any camp. Would you pay $2000 for a 1.6 GHz PC with 256 MB RAM and a 60 MB hd?

I understand the flaws in the above post, and I think the poster was stupid to try to price out the systems using such cheap crap components. And I don't think there's really any point, because no reasonable home reccer is going to buy that $8000 G4 system... that's the kind of system only an executive or someone with unlimited spending power would buy.

But the fact remains, Apple forces people to pay a much higher price than they would pay for comparable systems (even if you double the GHz rating from Mac to PC).

It doesn't make me happy. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't absolutely necessary. I have so much money invested in my TDM system and a ton of Mac plugins, that it was the only option available to me.

But if you gave most of the usual crew of posters on this board that $8000, they could probably outfit a complete, decent quality home recording setup. Hell, I could put together a dual PC and Mac system with a mixer, software, hardware, mics, and a couple of outboard pres for that kind of money.

Sorry I'm late to the party today.

I had a really fun-filled afternoon doing yard work after working all day.

I apologize. I've done a poor job with this thread from the start.

No apology required. I think we all know where your coming from now. Seriously.:)

Good question. Maybe if we can put together our own little benchmarking session we can find out for sure. I've seen Photoshop comparisons, yadda yadda et. al. but never seen any audio benchmarks. This could be fun!:)

I don't really keep up with these things and always thought there could have been some truth to what apple was saying. Now that I'm actually looking into it, it seems noone actually believes it, yet no mac user will give any straight answers.

I guess you haven't been to this site. This guy pretty much tells it like it is but like I said, no audio tests.

If you think there are Mac apps that are comparable to Pro Engineer, CATIA, or Solidworks, you need to think again.

Hey, elevate!:)

I was wondering why it was taking you so long to jump in here.;)

If I've never heard of those other apps then obviously I wouldn't know if there were similar apps for the Mac. I was referring only to AutoCAD.

I think I've posted something like this before: but why do people take personal computer
platform choice so... well... personally? Why do people get so angry?

Who's angry? I thought we were just having a lively discussion on the merits of two different platforms. This is fun, isn't it? If not, why the hell are we here? :p

But the fact remains, Apple forces people to pay a much higher price than they would pay for comparable systems (even if you double the GHz rating from Mac to PC).

Well, the last time I was at the Apple store I didn't see any gun-toting salespeople rounding up customers.
:D

If you had paid $600 for PC software just 3 weeks before the company was bought out by Apple, you may feel a little like someone had a gun to your back.

All depends on preference. I say PC because it is more flexible. You'll only have problems if you don't know what you're doing.

Back